'BP Gas' has 10% Ethanol in their GAS

So I was at BP Gas station the other day & there was a sign: “May Contain Up To 10% Ethanol”. Read that Ethanol is not good for the Engine. Thoughts?

Modern engines are designed to run on E10. And some E80.

Not so much with older engines.

Tester

1 Like

I’ve avoided bp for going on 20 years. Just got a bad rap for a while and if I’m traveling dont want fuel problems. Co op stations also blend the ethanol but never had a problem with them. In some of the farm states like Iowa though you have to watch the labels on the pump pretty close or you’ll get a lot more ethanol than you bargain for. I prefer the non oxy though.

1 Like

Hi Tester,
Please define “Modern Engine” that you speak of. Thanks.

Hi Bing,
“Co op” that you speak of, where is that? I’m in New Jersey & haven’t seen that. What do you thing about Exxon?? I’ve heard it’s a good gas station. Thanks.

Ethanol in itself is very corrosive.

Modern engines have fuel systems with components that can handle the corrosive nature of ethanol gas.

Tester

1 Like

Tester,
Would you consider a 2018 Honda Accord a ‘Modern Engine’ ?
Thanks.

Any engine built since 2001 is designed to operate on E10 gasoline.

Tesrer

3 Likes

Tester,
Thanks for info.

Is this news to you? The state where I live has required 10% ethanol in pump gas since 2006.

4 Likes

And the state I live in mandated E10 gasoline in 1993.

Tester

1 Like

Tester,
What State are you in?
I m in New Jersey. Thanks.

Tester

1 Like

Up nort in MN where I am for da boat, premium is available non oxygenated. Have not seen a pump other than the premium that did not have the may contain 10% in decades.

1 Like

In town I buy all my gas from Exxon Mobil.

1 Like

Hi Pat:
Could you list the gas station brands you use that do not use “up to 10% Ethanol”?

I ask that due to how common it is to see 10% in use.

According to one of the US government publications on this:
"More than 98% of U.S. gasoline contains up to 10% ethanol "

https://afdc.energy.gov/fuels/ethanol_blends.html

2 Likes

I’d bet that around 95% of road taxed gasoline sold is 10% ethanol, it’s been that way for a decade or two. Chances are you’ve been filling up with E10 without being aware of it for sometime now.

I believe New Jersey switched from MTBE (bad for the environment) to 10% ethanol in the mid-2000s. My 2000 Blazer’s mpg took a hit at the time. Never had any issues with my cars, including a 1993 Caprice.

Ed B.

IIRC, when NJ banned the use of MTBE, they allowed up to 10% ethanol in the gas. Exactly how much ethanol is blended into any specific brand of gas is apparently not possible to know, but it can’t exceed 10%, to the best of my recollection.

The sign that the OP recently observed has been posted on all gas pumps in NJ for many years, and I submit that the OP just noticed the sign for the first time when she looked at the BP pump.

1 Like

The federal government mandated that all gasoline contain at least 10% ethanol in 2005.

Tester

1 Like