Body control modules GM?

Does anyone have an idea of how to deal with this defect? Starts off as a security glitch; goes into erratic start? re-programming possible, but not a long term fix? This module possible affects other systems in the vehicle - wipers, reverse lights, ignition sys. Comments/experiencing with this issue?

I know the BCM on my Chrysler van controls a lot of things and the one in yours may be similair. If you are sure the module is the problem you can get rebuilt units for a lot less than the new ones cost from the dealer.

When you get problems like this trouble codes will be stored in the computer. The first thing to do is to check the codes, then refer to the factory repair manual for the trouble shootin charts for that code. Could be faulty ground, terminal connections, faulty wires, bad module, and on and on. The charts are what are used to properly diagnose the problem though. Wouldn’t be the end of the world to replace the module.

More information would help. Year, Make, and model for a start. What do you mean by a “security glitch”? Is the starter disabled for 10 minutes at a time? Have you had it reprogrammed or are you asking if reprogramming would help? Are you also experiencing problems with the other systems, wipers, lights, etc.

For instance, Chevrolet went from a BCM to a VCM in my 2000 Blazer (or vice versa). If the battery is run down or partially discharged, the Blazer has driveability problems (high idle and torque converter failure to lock up). If the truck starts acting up, I disconnect the battery for a few minutes to reset the computer. Usually this fixes the problem.

Ed B.