BMW Slow Speed Braking Vibration

I have a 2003 BMW 530. Every once in a while, if I am at the end of a deceleration on my way to a stop (from about 5 mph going to 0 mph) and I hit a slight rough patch in the road (pothole or change in surface material), it feels like the anti-lock breaks kick in. The steering wheel vibrates and there is a rapid loud thumping noise from the front end (bum, bum, bum, bum) until the car comes to a stop. At these speeds, there is no need for the ABS to kick in and the car vibrates for much longer than it should take to bring the vehicle to a stop. (Sometimes the vibration goes on for 10 seconds).

I have taken the car to the dealer five or six times over the last several years. The service adviser tells me that he has seen it before. The techs can not reproduce the problem (it is intermittent and happens only once every month or so) so they say they can’t do anything to fix it.

Anyone know what the problem is and how I can have it fixed?

It is darn hard to trump tech’s that have had both a chance to drive and inspect the car. I can’t believe there is anything that could be added to what a multitude of experienced mechanics have tried.

My first sugestion is a BMW specific Forum followed by a look fro a group of mechanics that have never seen your paricular car before (certainly BMW techs. BMW mechanics are very good at checking for TSB’s but I would take a look myself