BMW 750 LI Transmission

My '07 750 LI is driven primarily in a flatland environment. But when in the mountains climbing a steep driveway very slowly I’ll hear a loud “clunk” together with a violent “lurch” that almost stops the car. Any idea what’s going on? Would this be a reason not to buy this particular car at lease expiration in a few months? Otherwise I love the car.

I wouldn’t buy the car at the end of the lease because it’s throwing money away. The resale value on the 7 series is awful. There’s not much of a market for used 7 series mainly because it’s a very expensive car to maintain and repair, and most people shopping used cars can’t afford the upkeep-as a result they are a hard sell. The 3 and 5 series have good resale and are popular, but the 7 series is not.

However, if you happen to be a wealthy individual who doesn’t mind the expenses I would have this problem investigated by the dealer and see what kind of issue it is. Given the problems we were facing when I worked for BMW and what I hear from the techs now, it’s likely an electronics or computer issue more than a mechanical issue.