Bmw 1Series high mileage

I am looking at buying a BMW 1 Series with the 1M boy kit already on it. I have found one however it has 160k miles on the clock. It has had some work done to it such as timing belt and clutch replacement but I was wondering what I should expect to be done to it at 160k miles

Make sure to take it to a knowledgeable mechanic (not the dealer selling it, if applicable) for a thorough review before you buy it.

Personally, I’d expect some expensive repairs.

1 Like

Some repairs on any make past 150k some expensive. Car maker irrelevant.

I do not recommand getting a used german car after the manufacturer warranty is over unless you are a mechanic.

5 Likes

How come? What about a 2012 bmw with only 60k miles?

That’s still a used German car after the manufacturer warranty is over.

BMW’s aren’t particularly reliable, and are expensive to fix and maintain.

6 Likes

Cooling system on BMWs is a known weak point, plan on replacing much of it if it hasn’t been done.

At first I wondered what this was . Then I realized it was an after market body kit to make it look like an M1 version BMW . Mikey , go ahead and buy this unknown year BMW ( see I used caps for BMW ) someone has to buy it .

Actually, none HAS to buy it.

3 Likes

Exactly. Thank you

You should complain to the moderator that the tags are not capitalized in any of the threads.

Because BMW’S are insanely expensive to maintain and repair and only become more so as they age. “Ultimate Driving Machine?” Hardly.

If this is a U.S. spec model, then it doesn’t have a timing belt

I don’t recall ever seeing a 1 series in the US.

They’ve been sold in the U.S. since 2008. They aren’t as ubiquitous as the 3 series, but they’re out there. The 135i is the closest thing to an a old school BMW M3 that you can get these days.

I’ve seen BMW 1 series on the road, style looks pretty good. High mileage is actually a good thing imo. It means it has been driven at freeway speed a lot. Freeway driving is easy on the drive- train and brakes. If the maintenance was kept up to date, might be a pretty good selection. I expect you already know that BMW’s can be a little more expensive to service than say a Corolla or Civic. For example water pump replacement for the 135’s Turbo engine runs about $400 for the part plus 3 hours labor. $100 part and less than 2 hours labor for the Corolla. If you’re down for that add’l expense, you should be good to go. Suggest to look up what Consumer’s Reports Used Car Guide has to say about its expected reliability, and have your own mechanic do a pre-purchase inspection before writing any checks.

If you decide to buy it, first off, find the owner’s manual and see what the routine maintenance schedule is calling for. You can probably find the manual on-line if it wasn’t in the glove compartment. Besides the normally expected fluid changes (coolant, brake fluid, transmission fluid), and basic tune-ups, by 160K, on my over 200K Corolla, besides the stuff you already mentioned, I’ve done the following jobs at least once. Might give you a clue what to expect.

• radiator and thermostat replaced
  • Outer CV joint boots replaced and joints cleaned & re-lubed
  • fuel filter replaced
  • front brake pads replaced
  • rear brake shoes replaced
  • wiring harness repaired
  • starter motor replaced several times

Thank you this really helped. Don’t think I’ll be getting it.