Blue Tech

Just bought a 2009 E320 BlueTech Mercedes diesel and was surprised to learn that this model does not use the additive AdBlue that later models require. My question is this: Why should I care? Is this good, bad, or indifferent as far as I am concerned? I love the car. Iget fantastic mileage. But I cannot find information on this question anywhere, including from Mercedes itself…

I don’t see a reason to worry. While the AdBlue is required on the most recent versions of larger diesels from Audi, BMW, and (I thought) MB, I guess they were able to get the E320 to pass emissions without it. Not a negative, you avoid having to have refills of the expensive AdBlue liquid.

edit - here’s a great discussion of the two different systems offered on the E320. You apparently have one of the ‘45 state’ cars:

I’d be elated if it runs fine without AdBlue. Consumer Reports had a story where their GL320 cost them $316.99 for an AdBlue refill at the dealer after just 16,566 miles. That’s almost 2 cents per mile - with gas and diesel prices where they are in OH right now, and based on EPA combined mileage estimates, that means the savings for diesel+AdBlue vs. gas is just $12 over 16,566 miles.

Now you can get the same stuff as AdBlue from other sources MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH cheaper. But good luck getting Mercedes to honor any warranty if you do.

AdBlue is the registered trademark for AUS32 (Aqueous Urea Solution 32.5%)

Urine is an aqueous solution of greater than 95% water, with the remaining constituents, in order of decreasing concentration urea 9.3 g/L, chloride 1.87 g/L, sodium 1.17 g/L, potassium 0.750 g/L, creatinine 0.670 g/L and other dissolved ions, inorganic and organic compounds.

C’mon, don’t tell me you never considered it.

I thank you all for this information which clarifies the issue for me. I’m just going to keep enjoying this fantastic car and I am happy I don’t have to use AdBlue.