Blown Head Gasket question

My car recently began running hot easily (and running a little rough when I first start the engine). My question is this: If I have a blown head gasket, is it OK to continue driving short distances for a couple of weeks before I get it fixed—as long as the car is not running very rough and I limit my driving to short distances (not allowing the temperature gauge to reach all the way to the red zone)? (I have a 1995 Honda Civic LX automatic transmission)

No! It’s not okay to continue to drive the vehicle if the head gasket is blown. Park it until it can be fixed. Or the repair will add up to $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Tester

I’ll second that. The problem will only get worse and will become more expensive to fix very quickly.

Continuing to drive the car with a known blown headgasket is analogous to postponing starting antibiotics if you have pneumomia. It’ll continue to get worse. You might get away with it, you might not. If you do not, the consequences could be serious. It’s your choice.

I would make sure the radiator stays full (not the overflow tank), check it when it’s cold…and drive it if you have to…

Chances are with a 17 year old Civic, the repair is going to cost more than the car is worth anyway…

But FIRST, you need to establish FOR SURE the head gasket is blown…

Depending on the running hot and rough situation I would not assume that a head gasket will automatically make everything fine.

Coolant diluted engine oil, fried piston rings, and a heat damaged timing belt/water pump should also be considered.

Has the thermostat been changed in the last 5 years?
Have the valves been adjusted in the last 30K miles?

Thanks for all the responses!!

You’re welcome. What did you decide?

1st thing is, has anyone actually diagnosed blown head gasket, or is this an assumption?

Yes, my suspected diagnosis has been confirmed. I’m going to get another car!