Blower Motor Will Not Stop

Blower motor will not stop after engine is turned off. Is this a relay switch issue? Motor will run at very high speed. After a few minutes it would intermittently turn on and off. Battery was discharged two days ago. I forget how to test these relay switch, been a while since I’ve used my old DMM. Anyway, I’ve got an error code PO4091 (secondary air inj sys insufficient flow, bank 1). I lost the info on the two other error codes, but I will dig it up later and see if at all related. Any help on this would be great.

Off topic. Found a vacuum line broken, reinserted the remainder of the tubing, so good for now on that end. It’s by the TEE next to the battery. No wonder this one was stalling around 600 RPM and on low speeds around 600 RPM.

New coils wires and spark plugs. Runs smoother now.

I have replaced stuck air injection system relays on 2004-2006 2.4L Sebrings, I believe it is mounted below the intake manifold. This will discharge the battery if the pump stays on.

This won’t affect the HVAC blower, only the air injection pump.

Thanks! I will look into mine as well.

I also found another article online that looks similar to my problem, http://talk.baltimoresun.com/topic/210068-car-question-blower-motor-wont-shut-off/

Swap the relay with another compatible rely in the block, easy test! Just know if the relay is fried, the other circuit you plug it into may have issues.

I found another troubleshooting tips, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vmfxYg8LoY

I was speculating on what kind of vehicle you are discussing based on the “Sebring” tag and fault described but you posted a link to a discussion about a Pontiac. You will have to provide a description of your vehicle; year, make, model, body style, ATC or MTC.

Is the HVAC blower stuck on high speed or on any speed that was last selected?

Sorry, I got you confused. It is Sebring, but the Pontiac link looks like it’s the same problem with the blower motor and the relay switch. On Sebring the blower resistor block is the size of a golf ball. I originally pulled out the fuse from the engine fuse box and also pulled out the 30 amp fuse near the door panel, but it didn’t affect the blower motor running while key off, engine off. I never knew what that block shaped thing was until I saw this YouTube diagram. Whoever fixed this thing originally, they pulled out the connectors from the mounts and just rip them off like an ape.

New problems, I gotta find the plastic mounts for the connectors, coz the originals are already damaged.

It sounds like you have a damaged blower motor resistor connector, this may not be the reason your HVAC blower stays on. Replacement connector pig tails are available for most 1996-2010 Chrysler Sebrings.

Looking at some data for a '03 Sebring it shows that the blower relay is turned on with the ignition power. So about the only way that your trouble can happen is the relay is stuck in the closed position AND the speed selector switch is somehow shorted to the high position, no matter what position it is in. The ignition switch may be faulty also and not turning off but then other things should be turned on also while the ignition is supposed to be turned off.

Now if your system has a variable speed control for the blower instead of a switched version then the solid state speed control module for the motor is shorted directly to power. A common issue. If that is the case then you should make sure that the blower motor isn’t drawing excessive current before replacing the module.

Could be a sticking relay or a short in the wiring. Does it stop blowing when you tap the relay or remove the relay? If it keeps blowing even then, since you have the schematic, sometimes you can figure out what current path is providing the power that’s making it keep blowing by removing fuses. That makes it easier to find the short.

Not sure what year this is, but here is an 02 schematic. It shows a connection to the BCM.

Thanks for the info @knfenimore. That drawing is not the same one that I saw but it sure explains how this trouble is happening. The BCM seems to be controlling a solid state speed control driver module which is what I was referring to in my previous post. I just haven’t seen both types of speed control used in the same car, unless the drawing is referring to different models, using the same drawing for reference.