Blinding stock LED lights of newer vehicles, how do you deal with them?

I have a boatload of Acura MDX around my neighborhood. I particularly hate headlights of this newer MDX due to the blinding they cause when they are within incoming traffic. Do you have any novel technique to deal with these blinding headlights?

In the past when someone is driving with an upper beam, I would just look at the curb to deal with it but this thing is too bright. Other vehicles I have encountered blinding with are Corolla, F-150/250/similar.

FWIW, its not an eyesight issue for me. DW has a perfect eyesight and she has this issue too.

Who’s DW? Is it the same character “DW” on the animated kids’ show “Arthur” that my children watched when they were very young?
CSA
:palm_tree::sunglasses::palm_tree:

DW is this persons unnecessary code for ’ Dear Wife ’ which is kind of silly because of the number of readers who have no idea what it means.

Oh! I took a guess at “DW” and seriously considered it meant Divorced Wife.
CSA

1 Like

TBF, IMNSVHO, acronyms have been floating around the internet for decades, and it’s not really new people’s fault that people on this forum haven’t kept their finger on the pulse. :wink:

I can’t help you much with dealing with current headlight glare, but help is on the way on two fronts. First off, IIHS now included headlight glare in its safety evaluations. Automakers covet those Top Safety Pick Plus ratings and they cannot earn it anymore if they make headlights with excessive glare. Second, a long-standing rule prohibiting glare-free headlight technology may be about to change. You can thank Toyota and IIHS for that. Congress has been sitting on its hands for decades.

2 Likes

go the Corey Hart route?
a55b8cc3777ff27184ac6eeddfb84af7271feeb26fadaa88ac61eab105444b79

2 Likes

I haven’t notice those headlights you’re referring to, but could be my eyes. What I have encountered is BLINDING LED emergency vehicle lights on police vehicles, ambulances, etcetera.

When I’m in the location of my northern residence in a very rural (think cows & trees) I drive at night on extremely dark (think new moon) 2 lane roads. A while back I was tooling down such a road and up ahead a sheriff’s car had those roof lights activated and was parked where an officer was in a “discussion” with a person/people in a pulled-over vehicle.

I pulled up near and stopped in the blinding light. I had to risk my life when I attempted to go around the vehicles at a very low speed.

The lights are great because you can’t miss them.
The lights are also terrible because you can’t miss them. They’re all one can see, literally.
CSA

2 Likes

I’m not going to start watching TV or movies to keep up with stupid internet acronyms. Our language has been deteriorating for years now and I’m not going to assist in its destruction. GTP?
CSA

2 Likes

WHAT DOES THAT MEAN!?

:wink:

Got The Picture. Gone To Pieces. Got To Punt…

1 Like

Exactly! It would be better if I’d write the actual words, eh?

2 Likes

There’s a weekly article in the Duluth paper by a state patrolman. I learned something there recently: it is illegal to flash your brights at an oncoming car. Not an oft-enforced law, is it? Maybe because it is not a reasonable law and every highway patroller knows that.

Good law.
I never flash other vehicles. I switch my headlights “off” and then immediately “on.”
It works.
CSA

I don’t bother to flash my high beams anymore at folks that drive with their high beams ON because it is clear they don’t know how to turn them off.

I’ve flashed a few times to those high-glare cars just to have them prove to me their bright are not on by flashing their brights. THAT is a retina-burning experience!

1 Like

It’s been challenged in court in many areas on first amendment grounds. You flash your lights at oncoming drivers to communicate something, and whether that communication is “turn your lights on” or “there are deer ahead” or even “there’s a cop running radar around the curve,” it’s constitutionally-protected speech.

That came from the old phones that did not have keyboards. Should have gone away by now. Now we use whole words like Whisket Tango Foxtrot

Back in the 80s, where I lived at the time, it was pretty well understood you shouldn’t flash your brights at any car around bar time. It was an excuse for the cops to pull you over. It happened to people I knew so I was wise to it and never got caught in the trap but kind of wished I did. I wanted to argue the fact that the cops were endangering people by how they enticed people to flash their brights… That being said, I won’t hesitate to flash you if you keep coming at me with your brights on, oblivious to the fact you’re blinding everyone else…

1 Like

Hams used YL for young lady, XYL for wife.

Ding, Ding, Ding! :bell: Winner, winner, chicken dinner! :rooster:

Very good! Instead of “GTP?” I could have written “Get the picture?”

However I was illustrating the trouble I have reading those goofy acronyms. IHTT!
CSA

1 Like