BIgger Profile tires than recommended - good idea?

Hi

I am new to the forum so forgive me for any newbie mistakes I might make.

I have a 2010 Toyota Rav4 Sport with the Sport Apprearance Package.

The stock tires are 235/55/18’s but I am considering buying some winter tires in the size of 235/65/18.

Is this a good idea?

That one small change will throw your speedometer off 7%. You’ll be going faster than the speedo says you are. Remember that as you travel through speed traps. But, if you can live with that, it shouldn’t cause any other problems.

The only difference between the two tire sizes is the sidewall height will be a little taller on the winter tire. And this is so small it won’t cause a problem.

Tester

With the larger tires at 60 mph indicated, your actual speed will be 63.9 mph.

Google “tire size calculator”. The Mazda site has a good one.

If you must switch from 55 profile tires to 65’s then I’d suggest going with a narrower tire, say 225, or perhaps 215. Winter tires of the same size are generally a bit wider than standard and all season tires.

This way you’ll get a tire that is the same width or narrower and perhaps it will reduce the tires diameter enough so your speedo error will be minimal. If 215/65/18 and 225/65/18 tires are made check them out for size.

A narrower winter tire is actually better for traction than a wider tire when you drive in moderate to deep snow.

check the tire sticker on front door jamb…will give you an alternate sized tire…I’ve driven in New England winters for 10plus years with RAV4 and never needed winter tires… unless you are driving in mountains on unplowed roads all weather tires and AWD works.

Why not just get winter tires in the proper size? Tire Rack lists five models to choose from in the stock size.

Any time you change the tire size you’ll affect the ride and handling. HOw much depends on the scope of the change and the vehicle. You also risk rubbing on the wheelwell under extreme turning conditions, like when parking perhaps.

If you like the vehicle’s ride and handling currently, I’d recommend simply getting the proper size tires for the winter. You might even consider getting a spare set of steel rims to mount them on. This makes the seasonal changeover very easy and prevents unneccessary beating up of the bead from dismounting and remounting tires twice a year. It also protects your alloy wheels from the winter salt.

I live in Canada where the temperature can swing between minus 20 Celsius to above 0 within one day. So we can go from deep snow to pure slush in a matter of hours. This also means that we often have ice covered roads for the most part because the road temperature once it’s cold stays cold.
A friend is selling his Hankook Pike tires for a decent price so I was hoping to get away with buying a decent tire at a good price to get me through the winter.
I think I will pick them up as we have to drive slower than the speed Limit anyways with the black ice we also see in the winter