Beware of

…fake roadblocks!

A motorist with a dashcam was able to document what was almost surely an attempt at robbery or–more likely–car-jacking:

I keep meaning to get a dashcam. I’m not sure why I don’t pull the trigger - it would have come in handy a couple of times this summer.

Was this Venezuela or Mogadishu? I don’t worry about car jackings where I live.

Maybe Chicago or Detroit!!!

We don’t get those problems around here either. The bandits would get lost unless they stole somebodies GPS first.

Yosemite

Not a problem where I live, either. My state allows you to carry a loaded gun in an unlocked glovebox without a concealed carry permit. Carjackers KNOW this and look for other prey.

This is how urban legends start. The article says the parked car had run out of gas, the driver was intoxicated, and they were trying to get someone to help them. So, dumb move for certain, but there’s no evidence of criminal intent at all.

I worked for the government for many years, and I learned, “Don’t assume a conspiracy when incompetence will explain it.” In this situation I think, “Don’t assume a criminal intent when stupidity will explain it.”

And I live in Oakland, California, where criminals are pretty creative.

“The article says the parked car had run out of gas, the driver was intoxicated, and they were trying to get someone to help them. So, dumb move for certain, but there’s no evidence of criminal intent at all.”

That is true, but the updated information did not appear online until–literally–a few minutes before you read it online. The original version of the article from early this morning stated that the “perp” had been arrested, but it did not list the charge, nor did it mention intoxication or running out of gas.

Also said the perp had a previous warrant out for him. So at any rate, not someone you’d want to give a ride to after midnight or after 9 in the morning for that matter.