Beware of cheap motor oil!

I figure those out-of-spec garbage oils are a mix of not only filtered used motor oil but also industrial waste oil from vacuum pumps, lube for cutting, drilling, milling etc.

Good follow-up to my earlier thread about synthetic. I’m going to stay with the name brand stuff, you do get what you pay for, not much sense in buying cheapo oil, saving $5 and ruining your engine. Duh. Rocketman

Ugh…Times Beach, anyone? I’d sooner get my oil, used, from JL…at least I’d know what I was getting!

Logically, recycled oil should be called “LastGen” instead of “NextGen”…

And …read those labels !
The proof is in the pudding.
like the API service grade…and the fine print.
No matter how pretty the label and what the name is…keep reading,
You may find that it says…somehere on there ‘‘made frome recyled’’ and the API grade is nothing near current manufacture.

The cheapest I’ve used is syn-blend Wolfs Head available at similar prices to the story, but SAE graded and everything. Sams club sells a case for about $2.25 a quart here for 5W-30. Worked as well as any other 5W-30 for topping up my Subaru.

Ufff. I may never buy a used car again. Not only gotta worry that the oil wasn’t changed for 10,000 miles, but gotta ask if they used $2 oil too.

@Bing‌

" . . . gotta ask if they used $2 oil too."

Just a few years ago, napa occasionally put their house brand oil on sale for $1/qt. It had all the current certifications

I believe they’ve stopped doing that, though