Best tires for 2004 Volvo V70?

I have a 2004 Volvo V70 with about 160,000 miles on it. I need to buy new tires. I’ve had the Michelin Primacy XV4s, and they’ve been great, especially driving in Connecticut winters. I’m planning on selling the car in another 30-40,000 miles or when it really starts falling apart, so I don’t want to put that much money into new tires, but I still want good performance from an all season tire. Any suggestions?

I’ve always had good luck w/the Michelin X Radial Tire. And they are reasonably priced. I have them on both of my cars in fact. One thing, I don’t drive in the snow very often here. And when I do drive in the snow, like if I go skiing at Tahoe in the winter, there is usually a mandatory chain requirement. So I don’t know how well they perform in snow and ice in routine driving conditions.

http://www.epinions.com/reviews/Michelin_X_Radial_Tire?sb=1

Just buy cheap tires in the correct size. They will perform fine. If you want the “best” tires, stick with the Michelin’s that did well in the past. Forget “best” and shop “cheap” and take the best deal you can find. Pretty much any tire will last 30K miles.

Me, I’d still get good tires, 40,000 miles is a LONG time.

Check out the Tire Rack’s web site that way you can price different tires and brands at once and find the best tire for your buget then deside which way to go.

Research the budget tires you come across. Winter traction is hit or miss amongst make/model and if you found a winner I would stick with it.

Why do you say it’s going to fall apart at in 30-40k miles? You going to stop doing maintenance??

If you get cheap tires, you may need to replace them in 30,000 to 40,000 miles. I’d get something in the 60,000 to 65,000 range. If you sell your car in 30,000 miles, the tires won’t reduce the value of the car - they’ll still have half the life left. I agree with Big Marc. Look at Tire Rack’s surveys and tests on similar tires to your XV4s. Primacy MXV4s are Grand Touring all-season tires. Check that category for tires that meet your desires in noise, road handling, comfort, and price.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I decided to stick with the Michelins and order them on-line. They handle well in the snow, and that’s important.