Best Sedan in Denver, CO

I am moving to Denver soon and I will buy a car as the first thing when I arrive. I would like to buy a new car. Due to budged constraints I consider sedans (Chevy Cruze, Dodge Dart, Impreza etc). I wonder how the living in Denver should be taken into account when deciding on the car? Is any specific sedan better or worse than the other? I am not going to outdoors/skiing much. It will be mostly within the city and have occasional highway travels.
Thank You!

I’ve been living in Boulder and Denver for 35+ years and have driven sedans for most of those years. What’s “best” for me, may not be for you. As I have said many times, cars are like shoes – what fits me may not fit you.

Driving in Denver is not that much different than most other similar sized cities in the US. Roads are good and traffic is not too bad (other than the Tech Center during rush hours).

Our altitude reduces engine performance a bit, but you will probably not notice it unless you are drag racing. Yes, we get snow, but our “solar snow removal” system gets rid of it in a day or two.

Don’t fall into the AWD/4WD trap and think you need to be driving one of these for the three or four days snow will be on the roads. Better to spend your money on four REAL winter tires (NOT “all” season tires). People don’t realize that tires are 95% of winter driving (the other 5% is common sense and realizing you should not be driving anywhere).

Most of my sedans have been RWD BMW 3-series, manual transmission. It’s the car that fits me best. Go out and drive as many different makes and models as you can and buy the one that fits you best. Take a long test drive. Bring the wife, kids, dog and whatever else you will be taking with you when you drive.

Good luck and enjoy our beautiful city!

Remember that Denver is flat. The mountains shoot up a very short distance west of town. If you will be in the city, FWD would not be a problem at all. In addition to quick melting and sublimation, the Denver area has a good snow removal system. While I’ve only traveled there on business a couple dozen times, I can still see that snow is rarely a problem.

BTW, do get out and enjoy the great outdoors. This area has wonderful outdoor activities available. Just a nice walk in the forest is a great way to spend the day. I’m more familiar with Boulder, and they have a great paved path system in town. I’ve always enjoyed walking or running those paths.

Flat is where it’s at for not needing awd. Also, the average snow fall in at least one reference is less then 60 inches. That’s not even worth snow tires in built up areas and tarred road travel with few hills.

Honestly, you need to tell us more than just the fact that you’re moving to Denver in order for us to properly recommend a car to you.

How much money are you willing to spend on this new car?
Do you have kids? Dog?
Do you need to tow a trailer?
Do you need a very fuel efficient car?
Are you really tall, and need lots of legroom?

Honestly, if it were me, I would spring the extra money, and buy a 2014 Mazda 6, if I needed a sedan.

The Dodge Dart weighs more than all of its competition, so it won’t give you the good fuel economy if you are going to do lots of stop and go driving.

Nothing would make me buy an Impreza, or any other Subaru, for that matter, but that’s because I hate the way they roll about around corners, and the engines just don’t have any power at our altitude here in Colorado (I live in Arvada).