Best manual tranmission, compact car

@B.L.E.: All of the dictionaries I could find list “wrong” as a noun, an adjective, AND an adverb. Correcting grammar which is not wrong is wrong.

Two wrongs don’t make a right, but three rights make a left.

were you wronged? hmmmm. its a verb too!

I turned right, and left…

Well, this thread has certainly shifted gears from my original subject. Similar to automatic transmissions, these threads seem to have minds of their own.

But it’s all right. I guess there wasn’t much left to say about manual transmissions. Rest assured that I do not feel wronged.

insightful Since Penelope was born in Madrid I remember her using the Spanish Cruz (cross). Did she sort of Americanize it?

I’d say Americans Americanized it for her.

My Mazda 3 6spd manual gets me 38 mpg in my city and about 44 mpg on the highway. And its quick for a economy car.

That’s quite an assertion considering some of the contradictory advice I’ve seen that says keep the wheels straight and try not to lock them. I wonder if that advice applies in all climate conditions and whether the advice changes if you’re pulling a trailer.

@BobSmith1 Thank you for the input. Is yours the 2.0L or 2.5L? Here it is, two years after I posted my initial question, and I’m still driving my 2005 Prius. I took a Mazda3 hatchback, manual 2.0L, for about a 20 mile test drive a couple of months ago. Spent about 1/3 of the time on curvy roads through a hilly area. I didn’t do anything daring, just normal, safe speeds. I’m a very cautious driver. But the car just “felt” right. Looks like this fall I will get to compare it with a Honda Civic HB and redesigned Impreza.

I’m sure the behavior depends a LOT on the dynamics of the car, road conditions, etc. I recall driving a 1965 SAAB over highway 50, south of Lake Tahoe, during a snow storm. The CHP required chains on the drive wheels, which were on the front of that car. Being a 3-cyl, 2 stroke engine, it also had free wheeling. As I started picking up speed going down hill, I barely tapped the brakes. The rear end, having essentially no traction compared to the front wheels (with chains) IMMEDIATELY started coming around. I yelled at my passenger to pull out the handle (which was on the firewall, near the floor) that locked out the free wheeling so I could down shift and avoid going off the cliff. BTW, another plus here for manual transmissions.

I have owned 3 Mazdas 2 RX-7s and a Miata. I’m sure the “3” would serve you well.

Aw geeze, another two year old discussion that I didn’t see until too late. Like I said two years ago, rear drum brakes would be a deal breaker for me.

LOL, sorry didn’t realize this thread is so old. I have the SkyActive 2.0 (first year). The 2.5 is for racers. The 160 odd horses is fine. If you want fast then wait for the MazdaSpeed 3.

Thanks for the clarification. After driving a Prius for 11 years, I’m sure the 2.0L has more than enough power. One of the “hotrods” I’ve owned was a '72 Mazda RX-2: 0-60 in 14.0 sec. Or my '81 Audi Coupe: 0-60 in 11.3 sec. 2005 Prius: 0-60 in 10.9 sec. All these cars had more than adequate power for me. I can recall “rowing” my '58 Beetle up the mountain to Squaw Valley for many ski trips back in the 60s. That car was a little underpowered. Got great gas mileage and served me quite well, though.

1 Like

It’s “gear box” if you live in England, and who’s to argue with them when it comes to speaking English?

2 Likes

“The United States and Great Britain are two countries separated by a common language.”

2 Likes

I think the 2.0 is rated at 7.9 seconds 0-60 officially. All I know is I end up way over the speed limit before I realize it. I had a VW before this and well 10 seconds was hopeful. As for the mileage I stay in 6th hear most of the time and try to shift at 2k RPM unless I’m inspired. I can be in 6th at 40 with out bogging down.

I had the opportunity of testing out a Golf R with the manual gearbox and it is a blast to throw around. It is pricey though but the regular Golf TSI has the turbo and might be good enough (esp coming from a Prius).