Best Car for My Needs - Seeking Comfort, Economy, and Style in a Daily Commuter Car

I have a 2012 Hyundai Veloster 6-speed. I bought the car last September for the mpg, and it has been great. I have put 25K trouble-free miles on it commuting 6 days a week to my job, and I average 40 on the hwy and combined 35 (city/hwy). The roads I drive on, however, are not the best, and I would like to find a more substantial car that will have a better ride, sit higher on the road, and be more roomy and comfortable … yet still get respectable gas mileage.

Today I looked at the 2013 VW CC - good gas mileage and a beautiful car. I also looked at the 2012 Toyota Camry SE loaded/leather. I also considered the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid or straight sedan loaded, but I did not see it today. My other choice would be a small SUV like the Mitsubishi Outlander SE (heavily discounted with lots of nice features.

I have even thought about a used Lincoln MKZ Hybrid for econony and high mpg or even a used Caddy CTS (great ride, but just decent to low mpg).

Of main importance is comfort/safety, then mpg, then some sense of styling.

If you can suggest a vehicle for my daily commute (1 hour each way - 2 hours in the car on rough highway roads), please do so.
If you have experience with the VW CC, the Camry SE, the Sonata, or the Outlander/Lincoln/Caddy, please also reply with your thoughts.

I appreciate your help in locating my more comfortable commuter vehicle!

1. Test drive all of them.
  2. Ask yourself: “Which one do I like best?”
  3. Buy that one.

If I were the OP, I would cross the Mitsubishi off of my list.
From all indications, that company will not be operating much longer in the US, due to sales figures that are incredibly low.

In my area of the country, foreign makes are very big sellers, but I could go–literally–several weeks without seeing a late-model Mitsu on the road. Very few folks buy this make anymore, and that does not bode well for the company’s long-term prospects.

Do you really want to own an “orphaned” car, with all that this implies–including a sharp drop in book value, plus an inability to obtain warranty support?

mazda cx-5

2012 Hyundai Veloster 6-speed

What’s your budget?