Bernuolli's principle

Ignoring the fact that we only have her side of the story, and she should be presumed to be biased towards her own interests. The fact that she has been with him for so long suggests that he may actually be a much better guy than she is insinuating. Also remember, anyone, even a saint, can have a bad day. Until you know all sides, it is wise to give the benefit of the doubt to those who are not here to defend themselves. Was she really complaining that he does most of the cooking? My mom would have loved it if dad did most of the cooking.

If he had thought this through while building the house, he would have installed a central vac unit which will dump the exhaust outside the home…no dust, little noise. The long hose can be annoying at times, but all in all, a good tradeoff vs. the cannister style units. Thanks for making us all feel better about the way that we treat our spouses…my lovely bride would have made a popsicle out of me and the nozzle had I suggested that she carry the cannister while vacuuming. She would be right in doing so…

As further reply to this post by Carhenge2010 allow me to expalin how I am interpreting Carhenge2010’s post. She states that she used “Dave’s little dynosaur canister style vacuum cleaner.”, and that she had taken off the wheels and that it was on the floor when she was doing the vacuuming, as opposed to haning on her shoulder by a strap as some little canister vacs do. She also doesn’t meantion any flexible hose in her post when talking about the “little” vaccuum. The “little dynosaur” reference I presumed (and forgive me if I am wrong in this), meant that it was like my little SHARK cannister vac. Large cannister vacs are heavy and bulky, and so have long flexible hoses coming out of them running to a leinght of pipe at the end of which is the nozzle. This allows it to easlily get around and under furniture. Little vacs however, being much lighter and smaller have done away with the hose and connect the nozzle directly to the cannister iself. This is what I’ve been picturing her using since she did not mention any hose. If Dave’s “little dynosaur vacuum cleaner” has a long flexible hose attaching to a remote nozzle, then I am incorect in my previous post and sinserely appologise for getting it wrong. (Since "little"vacs have little motors, they almost never have long hoses because they don’t have enough power to pull the dirt that far, and if they try to, then they have little suction and are ineffective). If a flexible hose separates the nozzle and cannister, the angle of the cannister to the floor has no berring on the air flow entering the nozzle. I am also presuming that the exhaust opening on the cannister is on the side of the cannister and not the bottom, and so will not be blocked by sitting it on the floor. However, it must be agreed to that without the wheels attached keeping a side exhaust hole verticle, the cannister can fall on its side blocking the exhaust flow. So it is a good idea to keep the wheels on it to prevent it from tipping, as well as from marring the floor from having it dragged across the floor while vacuuming. If, on the other hand, there is no flexible hose, and the nozzle IS directly attached to the cannister as is common with the “litttle” vacs out there, then I stand behind my previous post regarding angle of attack and the wheels.

VDC, right on–when someone writes “Yikes, I’ve never been called the names he calls me”, I want to answer “how do you spell Mel Gibson?”. It isn’t about vacuum cleaners, Bernoulli, Venturi, Tom, Ray, Dick or Harry. It’s about “bail out now”! Abusers are dangerous–once the words go unanswered, the fists (and baseball bats, and knives, etc.) follow.

Yup!
This is indeed a much bigger issue than vacuuming technique and someone’s lack of comprehension of a scientific principle. It is about a person (the OP) who is tolerating both verbal and psychological abuse from her paramour.

In all too many cases, there is a very thin line separating the verbal/psychological abuser from the physical abuser. For 2 1/2 years, I wrote the Court Complaints in my county regarding child abuse. Frequently, the child abuse was preceded by abuse of the spouse/paramour. Trust me–the photographs of the physical injuries (abrasions, contusions, fractures, burns) were enough to turn my stomach on a daily basis. Luckily our “win” rate in court was something over 98%.

Even though it does not sound like there is a young child in this household, the OP herself could be in danger if “Dave” steps just a bit over the line from his present way of abusing her to a more physical way of doing it. This is ultimately about much more than how to vacuum a carpet.

Bernuolli would be proud of you all…44 posts…Unbelievable…

Oh, well he could get an upright, or he could tape a scoop over the exhuast that would channle the exhaust air upwards away from the floor.

OK, I’m leaving. it’s unanimous. Heading to Missouri next week. Wish me luck!

Yes, I do wish you good luck. I am glad that you finally realized that he was abusing you.
Please try to be very selective in your choice of a new boyfriend, as you don’t want a repeat of this type of relationship.

Thanks VDCdriver, you’re right. I would like to find a man who communicates well, and who I communicate well with.