Bent drill bit

I have broken more than my share of drill bits, but never bent one. It is a no name bit, pretty sure from a bargain bin somewhere, but usually bits are brittle and snap. Anyone else ever bend one?

Yes, I had a 12 inch long 1/4 inch wood bit from the local flea market. Was drilling through 3/8 plywood to mount some boat seats, long, skinny bit bent.

Never ever! A drill bit should be hardened for 2 reasons - so the edge is harder than the material being drilled and so the thing snaps instead of bends if it fails. Imagine if that thing bent in a drill press!

I don’t think I ever bent one. Maybe it wasn’t hardened properly. Against my better judgement though, I picked up a full set at Harbor Freight for about $20. I was tired looking for the right bit. They have worked pretty well on steel in the drill press that is the only place I use them. Right away though I broke about four of the smaller sizes but the larger ones are holding up pretty well. For $20 I’ll just pitch them and buy another set when they are a problem.

The HF ones go on sale all the time for $10. I forget how many bits, 40 I think.

I’ve never bent a drill bit, but have broke them in half. I wouldn’t have guessed bending one would be very easy to do, at least without cracking or breaking it. I recently bought a 29 bit titanium coated set at HF for $10, found a coupon. I haven’t tried them so no idea how well they’ll work out. The HF website posts customer reviews which I’ve found useful for considering other products there. I used to buy new drill bits more often until I learned how to sharpen them.

Sounds like what I got. Not sure how many but titanium. I thought $20 but maybe $10. At any rate they have worked good for me except for the smaller 4 or 5 bits. Broke those in half right away.

The fluted section is really short and the flutes elongated. It was meant for drilling soft, thin materials at higher rotational rates to prevent galling. Materials like aluminum or copper for example. It was probably an inexpensive bit because there is no hardening or tempering done to it. Although, for its intended purpose, it doesn’t necessarily need that done to it.