Beginner at Manual transmission

@insightful February 26 “Besides curve balls like sarge’s weird clutch, I’ve noticed some of the new throttle-by-wire systems are less than clutch-friendly.” I think I have already stated that my formal automotive repair education and practice ended in 1976. I basically have no clue when it comes to “computerized” vehicles. I did think my old school use of the clutch could somehow be “confusing” the ECU but had no idea how. I just researched my KIA and it has throttle-by-wire that can result in a throttle “dead spot.” I also discovered a DIY fix that involves adjusting electrical resistance of the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). I have decided to just live with it as I have now reached a 99% success rate regarding clutch engagement. Thank you for your “insightfulness”.

I’m a “right-foot” driver so when I switch between automatic and manual cars, I get less confused. Also, I like planting my left foot on the dead-pedal for comfort and stability. Do “two-foot” automatic drivers hover their left foot over the brake? That would seem to be tiring.

@Whitey‌
While pushing a heavy enough boat, especially up a slight grade or over the lip entrance to our garage, the vehicle will not creep as it does normally. @Whtey, you are exactly right in your example so you know what I’m talking about. I’s just that I do it so much (sometimes 8 hours a day on a tractor) and have over the years with other equipment, it just seems natural all of the time. Am I a control freak ? Sure !

When I first learned to drive, my dad taught me to apply brake pressure along with the throttle, to start off in slipper conditions too. So I guess it started there too.

Don’t get me wrong. My wife has used one foot for over 45 plus years of driving and has had one accident…a collision with a deer who did not yield. ;=) I feel it has nothing to do with general driver safety using either method.
I am only giving reasons why I do it and it works for me. I feel “naked” using just one foot. ;=() so to speak. Even a manual tractor has the clutch on one side and the brake on the other. You can’t use the same foot for both as you throttle with the lever on the steering column. You always play the clutch against the brake pressure for precise movements.

I whole heatedly agree with both you and @MikeInNh. To me, it’s like, "how do you hold your steering wheel ? " who the heck cares if it works well for you ? Heck, I’m real comfortable with a suicide knob too.

I once owned the perfect car for one learning to drive a manual transmission. The car was a 1948 Dodge. The car had a fluid coupling between the flywheel and the clutch. It was impossible to stall the car. If you got tired of shifting gears, you could leave the car in high gear. However, it was a painfully slow start from a stop sign. With the fluid coupling, you didn’t have to disengage the clutch–just step on the brake. The engine wouldn’t stall.
The disadvantage to the fluid coupling was the slippage–it wasn’t exactly the most economical arrangement.