Battery testing and specs

New member here with a battery issue.

I bought a battery for my Ford Explorer about 6 years ago and think it’s dying on me. When I turn the key all I get is repeated clicking, dash lights flashing and doors locking/unlocking. I inspected and cleaned & tightened the battery and connections and the starter connections. The starter is almost brand new. I haven’t tested it yet but I’ve got a small electronics multimeter that will give me a voltage reading but will only read amperage up to ~1500 mA.

1. What do I do to test the battery here in my driveway?
  2. What are the voltage and current levels I should expect if the battery is still good?
  3. What kind of voltage/current meter would you Gus recommend for this?

Hope to hear from anyone with suggestions or advice out there. Stuck with a dead car right now so the sooner the better. Thanks.

You are close to the end of life for a battery anyway if not already. Just get a new battery. If you must test AutoZone will do that.

2 Likes

[quote=“rs8843829, post:1, topic:99154”]
What do I do to test the battery here in my driveway?
What are the voltage and current levels I should expect if the battery is still good?
What kind of voltage/current meter would you Gus recommend for this? [/quote]

Any DVM would work. You can get one that plugs into the lighter socket for about $12 at Amazon.
with the engine off, battery should read 12.3-12.6.
With the engine being started, should read above 10 volts.
Engine running, alternator working, should read 14-15 .5 volts.

You can’t read any of the currents, they are too high for your meter.

But, as suggested, just get a new battery first.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, Volvo. Thanks.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/2003/us20310.htm

Tester

He certainly can test voltage with that small test meter, he just can’t test amperage. If you get a reading of 10 to 10.5 volts with the car not running, you have a dead cell in the battery and it is shot.

Thanks, Bill. Those voltage numbers are just what I wanted.
Put in a new battery and all is well. --right now, anyway.