Battery terminal cover

Interesting. I’ve always thought of the Morris as an European car. Were they sold in the USA at one time? Was yours a Morris Minor? Purchased in the USA? New or used? I think I recall hearing the Morris Minor discussed on the radio program.

Lots of now-obscure British makes were sold in the US in the '50s and '60s.

1 Like

I recall there were quite a few MGB-GT’s on the road in that era where I lived in Colorado.

Yes, they were. My brother told the tale of him and his friends lifting a '60s era Morris Minor–owned by the woman who ran the local youth center (in NJ)–onto the sidewalk, as a prank. IIRC, he said it only took 4 or 5 guys to carry it a few feet from the street onto the sidewalk.

Needless to say, the youth center administrator was… not amused.

1 Like

I’ve seen photos of Morris Minors, but don’t recall seeing an actual example before. 'by the photos I didn’t think they were so small a few guys could pick one up and move it.

I remember Hillman, Singer, Humber, and Daimler.

Heh heh heh. Mine was well used. A minor buying a Minor.
When I told a girl I knew that I bought it she said “oh no you didn’t buy his car did you? He used to go around corners on two wheels with it.” What do girls know? What do you expect for $125? If you remember Bud’s jalope on Father Knows Best, similar.

Yeah it was pretty bad. There was a Morris dealership downtown Minneapolis at the time, close to Dunwoody and the Guthrie and they had brand new ones in the show room that looked just the same.

Sorry. Actually there were quite a few of them in California. In fact there is a Morris bone yard somewhere in the state that has all kinds of parts. If you watch any English programing on NPR, you’ll see them. I don’t but whoever that Priest detective is or that girls hospital show, you’ll see them zipping around. You can actually buy them pretty cheap in the UK or NZ but can’t get them over here.

For your viewing pleasure. If you see a yellow one it’s mine.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1960+morris+minor+1000&source=hp&ei=wtuCYv6zJPKbptQPpI-z6AU&iflsig=AJiK0e8AAAAAYoLp0pya_IokgPpAvhynOuIWk6slYy_g&oq=1960+morris+minor&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAEYATIFCAAQgAQyBQgAEIAEMggIABCABBDJAzIFCAAQgAQyBQgAEIAEMgUIABCABDIFCAAQgAQyBQgAEIAEMgUIABCABDIFCAAQgAQ6DggAEI8BEOoCEIwDEOUCOg4ILhCPARDqAhCMAxDlAjoICC4QgAQQsQM6CAgAEIAEELEDOgsIABCABBCxAxCDAToOCC4QgAQQsQMQxwEQowI6CwguEIAEEMcBEK8BOgsILhCABBCxAxDUAjoICC4QsQMQgwE6BQguEIAEOggIABCxAxCDAVCgEFj5Q2CWYWgBcAB4AIABeYgB6QuSAQQxMS42mAEAoAEBsAEK&sclient=gws-wiz

I like the style of the round headlights and little hubcaps. And the bumper is just stupendous!! :wink:

Probably the ONLY good thing about the side post batteries :rofl:

2 Likes

I grew up in Dinkytown USA (SE Minneapolis) Morris, Renault, Citroen, Simca, MG, and Triumphs were not uncommon, most common-VW bug. I had the misfortune, at 16, of buying a 1960 Renault Caravelle.

I’d go to Bridgemans on the corner for the best malts around.

Many of the evening shift were classmates.

At least it was better than a Dauphine.

I can still recall the great malts at a place near my college, long time ago. I don’t remember much of anything else that occurred during those years, but the malts were yummy! Unfortunately I had to curb my malt intake b/c I discovered my pants were not longer fitting … lol

Thereby hangs a tale … lol …

I have an '84 Harley Davidson Ironhead Sportster (original owner…) and twice over the years, the alternator has gone out. While either waiting for parts or the gumption to fix it, I drive the Harley with what I laughingly refer to as a “loss charge system” since I’m running solely on the battery (when I’m doing this, I charge the battery every time I take the bike out…). Because the alternator will eventually die again, I still practice the “push start” by myself. The only difference is that due to the high compression in my engine it can “lock the tire” as I pop the clutch, so I’ve learned to pop the clutch just as my weight compresses the suspension and the tire keeps its traction.

BTW, for others cycle riders in a similar situation, immediately pull the clutch handle in so the engine can fire over, else it bogs down, you cannot go 1 MPH in 2nd gear…

Perhaps a dumb question. Did Harley eliminate the kick starter?

I think a fair number of manufacturers have

What have they replaced it with?

Electric starter, though I no longer ride motorcycles, I think I would like the kickstarter as a backup. But then neither my car nor truck have crank starters.