Battery Problem

I have a 1995 OLDS 88LSS. I am the only owner and it has 115,000 miles on it. At 50,000 miles a new engine with 10,000 miles was put in. Currently I put about 3,000 miles a year on it. My problem is the positive battery cable keeps working lose and I can’t start the car until I tighten the connection.I’m on my second battery with this problem. I wrenched out the post on the prior battery by tightening too much. I’ve purchased a wrench to tighten this new battery and it works but I feel that eventually this terminal will also break. I’ve had a mechanic try to fix it but he can’t find anything wrong and sends me on my way. I’ve put new positive posts on the battery also but they haven’t worked either. The positive terminal will stay tight for about 10 days and then have to be tightened. The negative terminal doesn’t do this. HELP!

You need to clarify. It sounds to me like you’re obsessed with the battery posts rather than worrying about the wire terminal. Have you actually replaced the terminal? Its not then do so. You might actually just consider replacing the entire positive cable.

If you have replaced the terminal, try a lock washer of the appropriate size.

Time for a new cable.

The battery is new and it has the posts on the front of it. I will replace the positive cable but how can a old cable cause the post to work loose all the time? The positive post is new. It had to be replaced because the threads were stripped from tightening.

The battery is new and it has the posts on the front of it. I will replace the positive cable but how can a old cable cause the terminal post to work loose all the time? The positive post is new. It had to be replaced because the threads were stripped from tightening. Thanks.

Is the battery loose in the battery tray? Is the hold down secure? How about the cable, is it moving or is it secured? Sounds to me like the battery or cable is vibrating and this action, over time, is unscrewing the connector from the battery. Does the negative connector have any kind of spacer or washer that is missing on the positive one?

So when you said “The positive terminal will stay tight for about 10 days and then have to be tightened.” you actually meant that the battery post itself needs to be tightened? As I said, you needed to clarify.

If the battery & cable are both secured, and the terminal end is tight on the battery post then there is no way for the thing to spin out and loosen. Something isn’t buttoned down right (see richw46’s post below).