Battery Leak in Certified Used Nissan 370Z

We got a certified used 370Z about 4-5 months ago from a Nissan dealership. The car was great until we happened to look underneath at around the 3 month mark and noticed that there was a TON of corrosion under the front passenger side. We had not even had the oil changed in the car- it was exactly as it was when we got it from the dealer. We took it back to them, and they said the battery had been overfilled and had leaked all over the car. Now it is in with them, and they say they have to remove the engine in order to sandblast it. They also happened to mention that they wish they had caught it before because if they had they never would have certified it. Any thoughts on what we could/should do?

Are they asking for any money? if not be happy.

No- not yet, anyway. Just wanted some other opinions on if the sandblasting would affect the structural integrity of the car or its long term safety/durability.

As long as they are not charging for the repairs, will guarantee their work (meaning that the affected parts will last as long as they would have if the leakage had not happened), and are providing you with a free loaner car during the repairs, the only thing I would do is ask that they agree in writing that any repair which becomes necessary as a result of the leakage for a while into the future (at least a few years) will be performed by them at no charge for parts or labor.

In other words, it’s not fair to you to have to pay to have the same job done again a few years down the road, or anything else that is a direct result of the leakage that you would not have had to do had the leakage not occurred.

Don’t be afraid to insist that the agreement is in writing. If they agree verbally but are reluctant to put it in writing, you can say something like “I know you’ll honor your word, but I still need it in writing in case someone else is in charge in the future”.

Battery overfilled or could it be because there’s a leak in the battery case or there’s an overcharging problem? If either of the 2 latter conditions exist then the problem will just resurface soon after the work is completed.

Another example of why the word “Certified” is abused; and it’s not that rare either.

If they fix it, guarantee it, and give you a loaner at no cost to you, then sit tight and wait for your improved z-car’s return.

If the overflow is neutralized with a baking soda paste and then washed clean there should be no future problem from the acid already spilled but the alternater is suspect as the cause for the problem and should be tested for overcharge. Dismantling anything to sand blast is extreme overkill.

That’s all great information, you guys. Thanks a lot!! I’ll definitely get it in writing as @98caddy suggests.

You might want to make a habit out of opening a hood at least once a month and take a look what us going on. Checking oil level, coolant etc.
Whenever I got a car serviced I open the hood and check on the lot or in the nearest parking spot. Once after the oil change I noticed they were careless and there were oil all over the skidplate and axle parts. If I have taken it home than I would have wondered the next morning what a heck is going on when I see oilstain on the ground. An another time they overfilled the crankcase with close to a quart of oil…
Of course right away pulled the service advisor out and let them redo the work right away.

I don’t know about the guarantee that they are giving to you, but battery leaking that causes due to the over charging. And you need a less charge from battery for starting your car. Any way once I got the same problem and I take my car to Apex Automotive service in Edmonton and there I came to know about this fact. So don’t worry it is not at all a serious.

With due respect to Mikenik, I don’t think he can arbitrarily say “is not at all serious” being as he has not seen the problem, inspected the damage, or checked the car’s charging system.

As mentioned its likely overcharging they mentioned not overfilling.

Secondly, if you catch it early, acid spills can be neutralized before they do too much damage. However your mention of extensive corrosion and them actually recommending sand blasting leads me to believe it is fairly severe. Most dealers would try to poo-poo anything within reason and get you out of there. Acid will run between panel joints, into cracks and crevices they won’t be able to sandblast and repaint. I’d keep a close eye on the repair and do some inspecting after blasting but before paint to see if it will be effective…

Battery leaking that may be due to the over charging and thus it cause for the battery to be down. For starting your car little charge is enough. About the auto repair service that you are getting will be good in my sense, they are not asking any money at all and they give the guarantee too.

Battery leaking that may be due to the over charging and thus it cause for the battery to be down. For starting your car little charge is enough. About the auto repair service that you are getting will be good in my sense, they are not asking any money at all and they give the guarantee too.