Thanks for your suggestions. I used graphite in the key tumbler area with little change, then started taking things apart. The electric switch is several inches left of the key area. It works OK. (No recalls on this VIN.) In between is the steering wheel lock. That’s where the resistance is greatest. I was able to get some graphite and then some spray white lithium grease into it and it is now working much more smoothly.
Both keys work about the same. It still takes some jiggling, but less, and once it starts turning its action is smoother and with less resistance. If I have to replace the whole assembly eventually, I have a better idea what’s involved.
BTW it helped a lot to get out of the garage and into the sunlight to see all around the area once I got the plastic covers off the column and the back of the steering wheel.