Bad transmission?

Hello all,

I have a 1995 mustang with about 200,000 miles. When I shift into gear from park, it has been kicking back or forward harder than usual. Could this be a sign that my transmission is about to go out? Also sometimes hear a clunking after stopping, then begin accelerating. Does that mean there’s slack in my UV joint? I took it on the interstate and went up to 80mph and no shuddering or wobbling. Driving 300 miles and back and want to make sure I won’t be stranded somewhere. Thank you!!

I’d have a mechanic put it up on a lift to check out the drive shaft u-joints, the transmission mounts, and the engine mounts. If they’re good then it might be the transmission.

1 Like

any idea how much that will cost me? I’m a poor college student lol

$50-100 for the inspection, but make sure it’s a reputable shop, not a chain. But first, have you checked the atf level?

1 Like

No I haven’t checked it. Had it changed a year ago. Fairly sure it doesn’t leak. Need two people to check it right? One to shift through all the gears and one to check it?
How do I know if a shop is reputable?

The owners manual will say how to check it, google it it you don’t have one. As for a mechanic you can use Yelp or the “mechanics file” on this web site.

1 Like

Thanks a bunch for your help!!!

Pull the transmission dipstick out, and check the color and smell of the fluid.

If the fluid smells burnt, the tranny’s done.

Tester

2 Likes

These are normal symptoms of worn out U-joints. If you grab the driveshaft in the middle and try to rotate the shaft back and forth, you should not hear any clunking or see any play in a good u-joint.

As far as your transmission goes listen to tester, and if your fluid is not burnt, get it changed with the exactly right fluid. Do not go to a chain transmission or oil change shop. I personally avoid chain shops altogether.

2 Likes

Is the engine idle speed normal or abnormally high? A high idle speed will cause a harsh engagement.

1 Like

Maybe that’s a factor, it only seems to do it when its cold. Guess I didn’t think of that. Thank you all for all of your wonderful help and advice :slight_smile: