Bad transmission - what are my options?

I just presented eBay as an option. Nothing more. I prefer to buy things locally because if a problem develops it’s much easier to resolve.
However, eBay is fine as long as the seller is well established and has great feedback. A figure of 97% positive is really not that great in the eBay world so 99 or better is preferred.

I’ve been an eBay buyer and seller for 22 years although I quit selling a dozen years ago due to some disagreeble eBay policies. One is the fees which continued to climb and the most egregious is eBay coercing sellers into offering free shipping and money back even if there is no problem with the item being sold. That has led to a fair amount of fraud by buyers who will keep the item and return say a brick in a box for the refund. In one case someone returned several pairs of dirty underwear to a seller. I refuse to be part of a seller system that will allow things like this to happen as a lot of motorcycle parts I sold are somewhat rare and valuable so I am not going to risk those parts because of a few thieves.

I sold mostly antique motorcycle parts and there is no way that I’m going to guarantee a 60 year old part sold as is. Guess I’m a bit lucky. Almost a 1000 feedbacks all positive with no neutrals or negs.
I’ve also never had much of a problem with purchased items. One part was not applicable but after a few days of thought I decided the fault was mine for not asking a couple of questions first.

If the seller has been around for a while and has a substantial number of feedbacks with few if any negs or neutrals I would not have a problem with buying a trans off of eBay. Just my opnion is all.

1 Like

You could try a fluid change and filter, and some miracle in a bottle stuff, before you go full boat.

I think most cvt full on no go issues are not cured by magic elixir.

1 Like

You need to do the math and check out your Nissan, what is the compression? what new feature have upgraded? What other maintenance does it need? Add all this up figure what you are going to spend on replacing the Tranny -R & R removal and replace? is not costs free. Then how long is your used trans going to last Nissan’s Trans are not reliable if you replace it and it goes out in 1 week what have you saved? Any other car, truck that is running is your option. If you have to make payments then shop around. Try to get the best deal for your dollar.

compression?

op has a problem with the transmission, not low engine compression . . .

1 Like

If the OP installs a used transmission with a warranty he’ll have 30, maybe 90 days to drive the vehicle while he looks for something else. I mentioned that possibility a week ago.

@Laisseraller is pointing out that the car could have other problems beyond the transmission and might not be worth salvaging. He’s not the first one to mention it. A compression test and maybe other diagnostics to determine the health of the engine isn’t far fetched under the circumstances.

2 Likes

Please read this . . .

I’m not going to spend several minutes going over every single past response in this particular discussion. But I’m pretty sure very little time was spent discussing other possible problems with the car, so therefore I’m not going in that direction, either

2 Likes

“Pristine condition” often means the body is in good shape, and has little connection to the car’s mechanical condition, especially to someone who isn’t a “car guy.” However, you can go in whatever direction you wish.