Bad fuel damage to new car

According to the dealer, our 2012 Nissan Juke will require at least $600 to pull tank due to bad gas damage. How does one confirmn such a diagnosis and to what extent other components may be affected. Gas purchased at same station for the 7,000 miles we’ve owned it. We want to be informed about what we might be getting into. Towing and repairs not covered under warranty.

While it is rare to get a bad batch of gas, it does happen on occasion.
However–getting “bad gas” consistently for an extended period of time?
Not bloody likely, as the Brits say!
I am EXTREMELY skeptical about this situation.

What exactly was wrong with the gas?
What exactly does the dealership claim is wrong with the car?
Has the dealership provided you with a sample of the “bad gas”?

The dealership should be willing to substantiate all of this in writing, so that you can go after the gas station in Small Claims Court, because the gas station would be legally liable for the damage to your car. If the dealership is not willing to help you with a claim against the gas station, then that makes me even more skeptical.

It is almost a certainty that if one car was affected by contaminated gas there were several others and the owner of the station that sold it is well aware of the problem. When the tank is dropped and emptied the contents should be evidence enough. The station owner should take care of the entire bill.

My thoughts same as Rod. If it were “bad gas” cars should be dropping like flies around the dealership and others as well. I’m sure you weren’t the only one gassing up there. Something smells fishy…or gassy?!

Contact the gas station immediately so that they can be aware of all the work that is done. It seems likely that this is either a gs problem or warranty problem. You should get them together in a room and let them work it out. Don’t consider small claims court unless all else fails.

“I Love My Car”… You don’t define the problem…A sample of the gasoline in the tank can be removed and examined quite easily…As a matter of fact, the entire contents can be pumped out quite simply, replaced with fresh gas, the fuel filter changed, the system checked out, and you are on your way for far less than $600…

But please, tell us exactly what the problem is…

A couple months ago a bunch of bad gas was delivered in southern Minnesota and northern Iowa. It came from one source but was delivered to over 60 stations and reported in the Mankato, MN paper. I believe it had way over the limit of ethanol in it. Insurance was paying for the repairs. So not only should other drivers have the problem, other stations should do. What exactly is the problem and their solution?

Bad gas does happen on occasion and I would hope that the dealer has saved a sample (at least 1 quart) of this bad gasoline.

If a sample has been saved and it is legitimately bad then you may be able to go against the station that sold the gas and get a reimbursement. Without a sample I think you would be dead in the water and anytime a bad gas diagnosis is given providing a sample for the customer is a must in my opinion.
The reason why it’s a must is because “bad gas” can often be a scapegoat excuse to cover up a problem for which no one has the answer.

“The reason why it’s a must is because “bad gas” can often be a scapegoat excuse to cover up a problem for which no one has the answer.”

No truer words were ever spoken…

“Bad gas” usually means the gasoline was contaminated with some other liquid. Water being the most likely contaminant, followed by Diesel fuel, and next by too much ethanol…All of these are very unlikely, and anything else would be EXTREMELY unlikely.

Water, the most likely contaminant, is very easy to detect and can be cured for a lot less than $600…You can ask the station where you buy your gas to check their tanks for water, a very quick and simple procedure, and that should settle that. The pick-up for the pump that supplied your gasoline rests about 6" off the bottom of the tank. The water in the tank needs to be over 3" deep before any can be pumped into your cars tank…

And, if there is really a problem like this, it is possible your own comprehensive insurance will cover it and you can let the insurance company go after the bad guys.