BAD BMW TRANSMISSION - What to do?

Hello,

I need an advice…

I bought a 2002 bmw 325ci convertible last year with 120k miles for $13k. A year later, a week after I spent $900 on service (oil, tuneup etc), the trasmission went out. The bmw dealership game me a quote of $8k to fix it. The car now with good transmission is worth about $9k. What to do now?

I found some used transmissions from salvage cars with an average of 90k miles on it for about $1400 + $1k to replace it.

Should I buy the used one? if not, what advice would you give me. Thank you much!!!

Get it fixed with a salvaged transmission, and immediately sale it. Then purchase a modest reliable brand new car like a Ford Focus, Chevy Cruze Hyundai Elantra, etc.

It should not cost $1,000 to install a used transmission in your 325ic. I routinely have RWD transmissions swapped for $250 + new fluid. Shop around. If your ZIP Code starts with 66 or 67 I can offer some suggestions. RWDs are easy compared to FWDs. ANY good shop can do it. It doesn’t even have to be a tranny shop per se. The shop that quoted you $1,000 REALLY wants you to spring for the rebuild. Check http://www.car-part.com for a low mileage used one near you.

“the trasmission went out.”

Start with what “went out” means. What, exactly is the diagnosis? Symptoms? What has the service history of the transmission been? How many miles is it now up to?

$8k means that they want you to go over to the sales side and buy a different one. That can’t be a serious figure.

You are right cigroller. I had not thought of that angle. It won’t cost the BMW dealer $1000 to rebuild it, so they figure they can deal you out of it for next to nothing. I say again, FIND ANOTHER SHOP. Have them check it out completely and put in a good used one if indeed you need one. It could be an electronic issue. That dealer has a vested interest in your thinking you need a new car.

The car is working. The only problem is that It takes a few seconds to start moving and it has a star symbol on the D on the dashboard and the message Check Engine Soon. I took it to the dealership. They charged me $180 to take a look at it and then told me it would need a brand new transmission.

Thank you all for the great advice. I will shop around for a cheaper labor / part and get it fixed. BTW The car has 130k miles.

Thanks for the info. I checked the website but didn’t find for bmw 325ci, only 325i. Do you know if that would work? Anywyay .I’ll keep checking… Thanks a lot. btw my zip code is 95131. everything is very expensive here.

There’s a good chance that they are right that you will need a rebuild - however, when they looked it over they must have pulled some error codes from the car’s computer. Find out what those error codes were and post them. Also post exactly what they said was wrong that required a rebuild.

A second look from a local, independent (i.e. not a national chain) transmission specialty shop is in order. In the meantime I’d just keep driving.

This is the message on the invoice I got… “VERIFIED CONCERN AND TRANNY IN FAIL SAFE MODE, CHECKED FAULT MEMORY, GEAR MONITORED FAULTS STORED IN EGS MODULE, CHECKED TRANNY FLUID, OK. FOUND DEFECTIVE TRANNY, P/A TRANNY.”

The only difference between the 325i and 325ic is the c. The transmission should be the same. In fact, I doubt if the website even shows a separate breakout for the c. I’ve had a couple of the 325s, and have an M3 now.

I see several lines on the website that describe transmissions. Depending on the build date found on your door frame sticker, it will be the one below unless yours is the AWD Xi car or built before 3/02. If it’s befroe that, look for an '01 tranny.

A.T., exc. Xi; from 3/02, Cpe, Conv & SW

See whats wrong with the transmission first before doing anything. What codes were set?? Next, dont take it to the dealer. Take it to an independant transmission shop (NOT a large chain type transmission shop) and get a second opinion. Unless you have the AWD 325 you just have a ZF transmission. The overhaul kit for this transmission lists for $1250.00 $8K??? Walk away from there.

transman

The “faults stored” in the “fault memory” are the error codes. You need to know what the specific fault codes are. If they didn’t write them down its unlikely you’ll be able to get the info out of them. As transman said (below) take it to an independent shop for a second look. When you do, make sure that the specific fault codes also get written on the invoice.