Automatic Transmission Rebuilding

Nearly finished rebuilding an automatic transmission. Just wondering about the amount of resistance on turning the main shaft after tightening the pump bolts.

Prior to tightening the pump bolts the main shaft turns freely. After it has significant resistance to turn. Is this normal?

Thanks

No, the input shaft should not increase resistance as the pump is pulled up. Check the end play of the input shaft. If it is nonexistent, either one of the selective thrust washers is not correct or a clutch pack has not indexed correctlly. When a clutch pack is indexed, the inner hub is turned until all of the internally fingered friction discs engage the hub slots.

Of course I am thinking of a Chrysler A727 transmission. What is the model number of the one you are rebuilding?

Dear Moremuscles, Ditto what researcher says. I happen to agree with him. When a clutch pack is indexed, the inner hub is turned until all of the internally fingered friction discs engage the hub slots. I’d be happy to share more of my expertise on repairing transmissions with you, but I have to try to figure out how to change the oil and fuel filter on my 1982 dragster with close to 125 horses under the hood.

Researcher, hope you don’t mind, but I read a few of your comments and you, my friend, are a rocket scientist. Holy Cow Bro, you know your stuff!