Auto repair gone wrong

not everybody is as smart as you are.

I had some new docks put in at the cabins (perhaps I should say summer homes as my BIL refuses to stay in cabins but the main cabin is made of logs, for part of it)

Put it on my credit card, denied! Called them, "we knew you were not in MN, and being manually input we denied it. I added the dock company as approved vendor.

I decided just to use my debit card, did not know my bank has a $1,000 limit, even though I ran it through as a credit.

Paid the balance off with the credit card as the dock company was now an approved vendor.

So be careful using a debit card for >$1,000 purchases or car repairs.

I didn’t know I had a limit either until I called the bank and they told me I had a $200 daily cash limit and a $1500 purchase limit but said I could change it if I wanted. I know I’ve got some kind of limit on my credit union debit card but have no idea what it is and have never hit it yet.

Not sure what’s all involved with the credit card issue. It might be a credit card company rule that says if the customer pays using their credit card, the entire bill must be paid by credit card. Also not every credit card is alike in how the restrictions on the max amount limits work. I don’t think it is possible to further adjudicate the OP’s problem here without the benefit of the other side presenting their version of what happened. It sounds like the OP has a plan. Hopefully they’ll come back and tell us how it was all resolved.

No, you can pay partial amounts using gift cards or cash and the rest with a credit card it just takes more time.
It is no different than several people using their cards to settle their share of a restaurant bill.

It is probably a shop rule, if a customer is disappointed that a big job isn’t completed in 3 days, then on day 5 doesn’t have the money, he becomes a high risk-cash only customer.

This is something I don’t entirely understand. I mean, why should a customer would be so surprised the repair wasn’t done per the estimated schedule? I was watching an episode of the 70’s Bob Newhart show the other day, and the wife Emily was upset with her mechanic for this reason. The shop was replacing the clutch, and the first attempt didn’t quite get the job done, so it had to go back to the shop. Emily was frustrated by the experience, but when push came to shove she allowed that the shop was probably doing the best they could, and patience was in order. But hubby Bob wasn’t taking any of that. He went down to the shop to confront the shop owner, who calmly explained they were waiting for parts, and that even after the next go around there could still be more work needed, but they needed to do the next phase to see if the third phase was necessary. In the end Bob ended up with a black eye after the shop owner hit him, which Bob later admitted was deserved.

Sometimes I’ll pay for tools, equipment, tires and such with both cash and a debit card. Never had a problem. I have both Master Card and Visa debit cards and know I have used both.

Yes I had the money. The first price he quoted me. But not the second price. It’s a really long and frustrating story. This guy’s shop is not legit coming from professional outlook. Period! He’s a scam artist. This isn’t your ordinary mechanics shop I had to find this out the hard way.

Customers are generally unfamiliar with auto repair and their expectations must be set up by the service adviser who is sometimes inexperienced and should not be setting deadlines for major repairs.

There is a recent post where a vehicle owner believed a chain shop (tire shop?) could replace a timing chain in a late model vehicle in one day. The labor guide shows 12 hours labor, I would allow 24 hours actual time for someone inexperienced.

Sometimes there is no hope. I have had customers set up an appointment for an oil change, then present a list of complaints, brake squeaks, rattles, interior trim dissatisfaction, intermittent audio system problems etc. It seems my afternoon is shot looking for odd problems but then the service adviser enters the shop and says the customer has a doctors appointment is 30 minutes and must have their car back asap. Would a rational person allow someone to disassemble their car within an hour of a medical appointment?

By the way I have a update you all
 I took my car to a reputable mechanic shop that’s ASE certified.
Got bad news my engine is messed all up the guy told me it’s not even worth rebuilding bc repairs are more than what my car is worth. This may be true due to the oil light coming on and the way it functions but my engine comes on it just have a hard crank at time upon startup. I dnt know what to believe bc after all said and done the same technician asked me if I was thinking about selling it to a junk yard and if I did to take his number
Smh
sighs I asked if he buy cars he said yes. Right there let’s me know my car is still valuable

:joy::joy::joy: well your right about that. That’s just a customer being irrational. That’s normal situations. This guy had a rational customer but took advantage and was very deceptive. It was a total nighmare. Definitely a learning experience

I guess this is a new technical terminology. Did you get a detailed repair estimate in writing? Something that states in more detail what is wrong with the car.

Lol
I’m sleepy just getting off also still frustrated about my vehicle just wanted to give a quick update yes I did get a detailed invoice of everything. The list is long. I just wish it was a way he didn’t have to quote me for everything. He did transmission catalytic converter etc. I just need the oil light to be fixed. :weary::anguished:

Already made my mind to save for another car. Black pearl (my car) the acura is in the garage.

Thanks kurtwm2010 for asking. And thanks everyone else for the replies :slight_smile:

$700 to replace the head gaskets on a V-6 late model vehicle is well below retail. With overheated late model engines it is more economical to replace the engine with a used engine.

Repairing overheated/damaged engines is costly, used replacement is more economical.

@kurtwm2010 If you look in the upper right right hand corner immediately to the left of the time stamp, you’ll see a pencil with a number showing you if the post has been edited and how many times it’s been edited (including the times Carolyn goes through to edit out curse words!) :slight_smile:

Edit: as usual @VDCdriver beat me to the punch
and this is why I’m not a morning person, folks! :sleeping:

A car w/a totally shot engine still has value. The remaining parts for example can fetch a pretty penny on the used parts market. And IF the rest of car is in good shape, a replacement rused engine can usually be installed for around $5,000 , and get the car back on the road. But that’s a big IF. Say you pay the $5000 for a used replacement engine, you’re happy with the way the car runs, then a week later the transmission or AC system goes south. You won’t be a happy camper, facing thousands more $$$ in repair bills. So there’s a significant risk involved.

The shop tech who is willing to buy the car is willing to take on that risk. It makes more sense from a shop tech’s point of view, b/c they know how to install the engine, and have access to all the equipment needed, and a pro-shop to do the job at. They’d just do the work by themselves in their off hours. I think it is a pretty common thing for shop techs to buy cars that are uneconomical to fix, and fix them in their spare time; then either use the cars as daily drivers, give them to family members, or sell them for a profit. It’s a way for a shop tech to turn spare time into $$$. Sort of a side business. And it makes for a good opportunity for somebody to buy a car like that for a reduced price compared to a used car dealer, and it is probably a pretty reliable car to boot. Similar to how someone with expertise in fixing computers probably seldom buys a new computer, they just fix one that somebody discarded.

That shop tech will almost certainly be willing to fix your car for you, if you like. But you’d have to make a $$ offer equivalent or better to the alternative above. Which I expect you’d find uneconomical from your perspective.

I guess you never can tell. When I lost my timing chain in one of my Rivieras, it was towed to a shop (I was 50 miles from home and rented a car to go home). When I talked to the guy the next day he said the engine was shot with bent valves. He offered to buy it because he had a wrecked Toro at home with a good engine and needed a good body. I said naw, I’ll just tow it home. So I had it towed the 50 miles for $100 and got a timing chain kit for another $150. Took me Saturday and part of Sunday since I’d never done it before but it fired right up and drove it for another 100,000 miles. So I’m not saying the guy is wrong but I’d always be a little suspicious if the guy wants to buy it without a third opinion.

3 Likes