Audi TT vs Porsche Targa

911s were notorious for trailing throttle oversteer, that is, if you go into a turn too fast and lift off the throttle like you instinctively would, the back end gets real loose. Next stop is often the body shop. I think the handling quirks were largely fixed when they went to the water-cooled engine in the mid '90s. The newer water-cooled 911s are far more refined overall than the air-cooled one were.

I think the earlier 911s may have had a crude charm that the newer ones don’t have, and the last couple years of the air-cooled turbo could put up some good numbers in the hands of a skilled driver who knew how to keep the rear end in the back. I always liked the whale tail on the old ones.

I too always liked the whale tails with the deeply sloped hood below the upright headlights. But there’s just no getting away from the loose rear end with the engine hanging out behind the rear axle. If I were to put a Porsche two seater in my garage today it’d be the Boxter.

Whale tail lover here too. They’re driveable (incredibly, unbelievably nimble too) if you practice, or you don’t push too hard in the corners, but if you want to drive one at its limits, you’d better know what you’re doing.

Checking in again, thanks for your continued comments.

I took your comments seriously and decided to start test-driving some other convertibles/roadsters.

Yesterday I took an '05 Miata on the road, with 60k miles. It turned out this car was poorly maintained and pretty tired, but overall it still gave me some input. Geez, it’s tight in there. With the roof down a nicer version would definitely be fun, but once the top is down it feels claustrophobic in there.
This car won’t work for me.

The TT feels roomier in comparison.

I’ll check out more cars as the opportunities arise.

Many praise the Boxter, but I think I need to work on my attitude before I test it out. I grew up in Germany and took away from there the sentiment that the Boxter is the wanna-be Porsche for those who can’t afford the real thing. That’s not exactly what I want to think when stepping into my mid-life crisis car…

Please keep commenting.

The Boxster is the car Porsche should have replaced the 911 with 30 years ago. One of the major car magazines even anointed the Boxster the best handling car made a year or so back, after elaborate testing of many models. A big advantage is that it was built as a convertible from the start, so it’s stiff without being heavy and the top retracts very neatly into its compartment. I know what you mean, though. The 911 has been what guys have aspired to own for generations. Maybe that’s why I don’t like it. Too much of a trophy car.

If you are actively looking to spend time (and money) to keep the Targa running, go for it. However, if you have better things to do, go for the TT. It’s a classic design and as easy to fix as a Golf (shares chassis), just find an independent shop that specializes in VW / Audi to keep cost down.

Maybe the best thing to do would be to grow up, and not have a pretty dumb appliance as a car as part of what defines you as a person. Sorry to be a buzzkill, but I view cars the way I view a dishwasher or a refrigerator–a piece of machinery that does my bidding, not the other way around.

@wlipman - buzzkill is right! There is something very different about driving a sporty convertible, it’s not just about image, it’s about fun.

Has anyone mentioned a 350Z/370Z convertible? They are fun/fast/reliable.

Don’t feed the trolls, @texases :wink:

@shadowfax - you’re probably right, but that was an opinion not too far from my opinion of spending a lot on a luxury car. Not worth it. But a convertible sports car, that’s another thing…

Good Lord, I hope I never get so old and dull that I view a sports car as an appliance.
I hope I never get so old and dull that I view ANY of the things i enjoy as weighted against only the need to function, OR view them as defining me as a person.

Picasso once said “When I was young I learned to paint like a grownup. Now that I’ve grown old I’ve learned to paint like a child”.

I grew up once. It’s overrated.

Wife had a TT. (180BHP Quattro coupe)

Nice to look at, dull to drive, not that quick and “upsetting” at the pumps. Also not that comfortable and a bit of a “girls Car”. Also, the bucket seats were not good. Her previous Audi had brilliant bucket seats…

Even driving it hard was boring, and steering is very dead

If you want something interesting, fast or fun , look elsewhere.

@texases The reason I figure this one’s a troll is that it’s a recent signup, and has 2 posts. Usually non-trolls don’t decide the best way to introduce themselves to a community of car enthusiasts is to berate them for being enthusiastic about cars. :wink:

Me, I’d go with a Porsche over an Audi, no question about it. Even if the Porsche was a beater and the Audi was pristine. But that’s me. I like Dr Porsche’s rear engine no compromise design mandate. Fast and stylish. That’s about it. Fast and stylish. I think a 911 from the 60’s would be the cat’s meow in anybody’s driveway. Provided they had the inclination and resources to keep it on the road that is.

If you want something newer from Porsche, and can afford a newer 911, I’d consider the Boxter. They are rated amazingly reliable by Consumer Reports and used ones are affordable.

One more that has not been considered, an Acura NSX.

Good thought. Those were, and still are, incredible cars.

“Acura NSX”

He can’t afford it. Even a 1991 is almost $30,000. A 2000 Corvette convertible, on the other hand, will cost about $12,000. It uses a lot of gas compared to the NSX, but the $18,000 difference in price buys a lot of gas.

How about the new Scion/Subaru sports car? But not a convertible. But has gotten OUTSTANDING reiviews.

You can get 'em for 20-ish if you keep your eyes open. And in all likelihood you’ll put a lot less money into an NSX in the next 5 years than you will an 80’s Porsche.

I like the NSX, and so do a lot of people apparently. I’d love to have one. But the purchase price stands in the way.