Audi A6 Wagon Quattro transmission problem

I have a 1998 Audi A6 Quattro wagon that is experiencing some transmission shifting issues.

Sometimes it drives fine (both city and hwy driving) and sometimes it gets stuck in a low gear. I can’t pin down any specific behavior that is causing it to get stuck in gear. Occasionally, reverse will not engage when I first start it but, again, this is not always the case.

When the transmission does stick, stopping and turning the car off for a few minutes seems to resolve the issue.

Is this symptomatic of a specific/general issue? Obviously, the car needs to go into the shop but I would like to have some idea of what’s going on. We are a one car family that drives very little. If this is a costly repair we’ll likely hold off for a while. Alternatively, if there is impending doom and the transmission is going to explode or something, we’ll fix it now.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Any transmission malfunction is good reason to take it to a good transmission shop (independent, not a chain) immediately! Don’t keep driving this car, except to the shop.

From your description it’s hard to tell if the problem is in the transmission itself or the control module.

Regardless of the potential cost, postponing this will guarantee that it will be a very expensive fix.

Your transmission will not explode; it will just seize to work and burn out. When that happens, budget $4500 or so.

“. When that happens, budget $4500 or so.”

That’s if it’s a minor problem…

Agree Caddyman; the potential is for much more, since this is an Audi. I mention $4500 to raise OP’s awareness that to keep driving it is hazardous to his bank account.

Holding off on costly repairs is folly in any situation; they are likley to get more costly!