AT doesn't hold fluid for more than a week to 10 days

Acura Integra 90 Auto 115k miles
There was fresh fluid about 10days ago - when I drove, it was fine - when the car got heated up, there was minor gear-slip prob 2nd to 3rd.

Ten days later, there is no trace of oil on the AT dipstick. There is no pool of oil on the ground. When the engine oil was changed, I was told there is a lot of oil under the car and unsure where it was coming from - now I know it is the tranny. Engine is not leaking.

Wondering how expensive it is to fix the tranny leak? Is it better to replace?

Find the leak first, then decide. In the meantime don’t neglect the fluid level unless you wan’t to guarantee a transmission replacement, which may or may not fix the leak.

1 Like

Depending on where you live, you are at the age where transmission lines going to the cooler will corrode and start to fail. Often you won’t see the leak because it is mostly happening on the road. You should find out where the leak is because, if it is cooling lines, it won’t be expensive to fix. If it is elsewhere it might be pricey…

1 Like

Have you checked to see if coolant is being contaminated with transmission fluid?

Tester

3 Likes

Ugh. Didn’t think to ask that. That would be “no bueno”.

Coolant looks green from the top cap - if this happens, is this radiator issue? Replace radiator?

With a car that is almost 30 years old, I think that it would be close to insanity to replace the transmission. If I was in your situation, I would replace the vehicle.

Yes. It would mean that the transmission fluid cooler in the radiator is leaking.

Look on the transmission for any kind of vacuum hose from the transmission to the engine, and pull the hose off at the transmission to see if transmission fluid leaks from the connection.

On older vehicles, a transmission vacuum modulator was used to control the transmission. And when these would leak, transmission fluid would be sucked into the engine, and either burn or would end up in the oil pan.

Tester

1 Like

Your transmission uses a bell crank on the side controlled by the throttle cable from the throttle body to the transmission so you won’t find a vacuum line. Most likely the rubber lines have cracked either where they go to the radiator or at the transmission. They usually crack around the clamp first, the leaking connection will be very wet.

1 Like

If the transmission cooler inside your radiator failed you would see transmission fluid when you opened the radiator cap, at least in bubble form. Since you don’t, I lean to a cooling line problem. I don’t know what Audi uses for transmission fluid, but whatever it is use only that or a newer Audi fluid that is backward compatible.

1 Like

Thanks - it is an Acura Integra 1990 with 113k miles

Thanks - one of the hose was replaced.