At 38,000 miles,2007 Toyota Avalon Required New Front Springs

If this were my car, I’d simply install two new “quick struts” (pre-assembled with new springs) on the front end and be done with it.

Agree with JoeMario. A pair of front strut assemblies is about $250 and most backyard mechanics can install them in an hour. Recommend 1A Auto or Rock Auto for good quality aftermarket parts like this. They have excellent instructional videos as well.

About a decade ago, Ford did the right thing, and extended the warranty on the front springs of both Tauruses and Focuses for 10 years/150k miles, as a result of a history of fractured springs in states with high road salt usage.

I don’t doubt that the spring problem in the OP’s Avalon was the result of road salt, but, if Ford could extend this courtesy to their customers, I don’t see why Toyota can’t do the same–if there is indeed a pattern of spring failure on Avalons of this era.

Take a look at:

http://www.fordproblems.com/recalls/Taurus/2001/

I hope that the OP reports the Avalon problem to NHTSA, as this can result in a recall–if a pattern is found to exist. And, if there is a subsequent recall, the OP can be reimbursed for the repairs, even though the repairs were done by an independent shop.

Coil springs usually last a long time. In over 800,000 total miles of owning Toyotas (several of which went over 200,000 miles) none have broken a spring or even had to have one replaced. I probably have another 450,000 miles in other makes and none of them has ever broken a spring either. However, that means nothing in the world of statistics (and the real world). I hope Toyota comes around and offers you some sort of help but, if you are out of warranty, they have no obligation.

never broke a spring. dont know anyone who has

@Cavell Now you do! I had the torsion bars on my 1957 Plymouth snap at about 55,000 miles and broke both rear leaf springs on my 1976 Ford Granada with the 351V8 engine.

However, since that time I have only had to replace the front springs on a 1984 Chevy Impala since they sagged badly, but no breaks.

^
My father broke a rear leaf spring on his '55 Plymouth on what seemed like a fairly minor pothole. The car was ~4 years old at that point.

A friend of my brother bought a used '58 Chrysler. When crossing railroad tracks (probably at too high a speed), both of his torsion bars snapped at the same time, and brought him to a very quick stop. This car was about 5 years old at that point.

@bloodyknuckles
@Cavell

Several of us “regulars” have told you our own stories about broken springs

It doesn’t just happen to careless drivers

It happens more than once in a blue moon

I don't doubt that the spring problem in the OP's Avalon was the result of road salt

I doubt it very much. If road salt was the cause then there would be a LOT of suspension and spring failures here in the North East. And that’s not the case. Broken spring is a very rare occurrence even here in snow and salt country.

Road salt is the usual cause of spring breakage. Most won’t break; some do. I think that either Kia or Hyundai has a campaign (voluntary recall) going on in regards to this issue and the link below shows the problem has been around quite a while in other countries also.
First sentence of second paragraph.

http://www.mx-3.com/recalls/coilsprings.php

When unusual things like this broken spring happen, it’s often the result of multiple unlikely event, like a rock nicking the finish, salt causing corrosion, and a pothole finishing off the break.

That is the most polite explanation I’ve heard so far

Coil springs are not ALWAYS the result of an incompetent driver

A link for the European coil spring complaints.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-servicing-repair/coil-springs-breaking.html

Then the only thing I can say if it is caused by road salt…is that they need to do a better job in designing their springs to prevent it from happening. Road salt has never effected any spring on any vehicle I owned or anyone I know. If you have a car that is designed to run in area’s with high road salt use then design a vehicle that can handle it. They made changes to how they manufacturer body panels (zinc oxide dipping, factory applied rust proofing).

I can show you cars with well over 500k miles in the rust belt that have never had a spring problem. Road salt obviously isn’t effecting them.

When I was younger I had cars that were complete rust buckets. I also beat the heck out of them. One problem I never had was a coil spring breaking–a leaf spring, yes. Guess they don’t make em’ like they used to.

Have a Versa with 80k miles and this past summer backed out of driveway and heard a “clank” got out to look and found piece of front spring on the ground. Took to dealer and had replaced. it is now Dec 26th and trying to go visit friends last night, loud “boom” and busted tire…guess what ? Other spring…

^
Personally, I would not have replaced just one spring when that first one snapped last summer.

If the problem was due to a metallurgical defect, that defect likely existed on both springs.
If the problem was due to road salt, both sides of the car are equally affected by road salt.

After 80k miles, a spring can start to sag slightly, and replacing just one spring can give you a somewhat unbalanced ride and handling.

So…even if you didn’t approach the problem correctly in the first place, at least you now have 2 new springs, and–hopefully–this problem will not recur.

Incidentally, if you live in an area where the roads are salted in the winter, you should get into the habit of taking the car to a carwash for an underbody wash periodically, and right after the roads have been cleared from each storm. When the winter is over, make sure you give the underside of the car–including the suspension–a very thorough soaking with a garden hose.