Asking for directions

In my experience, people who don’t just buy a GPS unit despite getting lost a lot, even though they may claim they can’t afford the $100, are usually scared of having to master yet another techno-gizmo. But the better GPS brands have really worked hard on user interface, and today a base model Tomtom is no harder to use than an ATM. And this man is a photographer, for crying out loud. If he can handle a professional camera, he can handle a GPS.

(Of course, if the caller’s VW bus is one of the very old ones with a 6V electrical system, and if it was never converted to 12V, it would take a little ingenuity to install a modern GPS unit.)

The caller’s VW bus could indeed be VERY old.
That particular segment of the show has been repeated–ad infinitum, ad nauseum–many, many times over a period of many years. In truth, that call may have originated before GPS systems were commonplace.

I just posted about that topic, too. He could WRITE the directions as he is given them, thus distracting him from their eyes or whatever, and having a reference. lo tech can work.

@jaap In my experience, people who don’t just buy a GPS unit despite getting lost a lot, even though they may claim they can’t afford the $100, are usually scared of having to master yet another techno-gizmo…

What a load of c***
Get out and meet more people. You will find some people don’t want one or don’t need one even though they drive a lot. I used to drive 750 miles a week in rural areas and never needed or used a GPS. I did however have a quality atlas in book form and always got to my destination.
Has nothing to do with being scared. Remember that since not all motion is forward, not all technology is good (this does not mean electronics are bad).