2019 Volvo XC60 - Grinding

2019 Volvo XC60 grinding noise from driver’s front wheel. Dealer replaced hub; noise continues. They acknowledged the noise called in a Volvo Engineer after six weeks of trying to find where it was coming from said they can’t find it, said ticket is open if anything gets worse. Has anyone else had this issue? They ground down my rotors first.

Unfortunately noise complaints cane be one of the hardest things to diagnose on a vehicle, and if a Volvo Engineer can’t even find the noise we may not be of much help, but like you asked, maybe someone on here has ran across this before… You might be better off looking on a Volvo forum for better luck…
One of the bad things about noise complaints is noise can travel and make it sound like it is coming from somewhere else… There is many test to try for finding a noise but I would think that the dealer after six weeks and then having a Volvo Engineer they would of already have checked them all and then some…

1 Like

As above, if the dealer techs and a Volvo engineer can not locate the source of the noise you only have two choices, live with it and hope the noise is not coming from a critical part, or trade it in.

Usually a shop wouldn’t do that unless the pads measured very close to their wear limit, or the rotor had too much run-out (warped in other words). It’s very unusual to resurface rotors on most newer vehicles, the rotors come new from the factory already very close to their wear limit. When brake rotors fail, usually they are just replaced. So you have a sort of unusual situation . Suggest to ask your shop if they commonly resurface brake rotors on a newish XC60.

Replacing the hub makes more sense for the symptom, grinding noises often caused by faulty wheel bearing. Usually wheel bearing noise is a growling noise that gets louder the faster you go. Unfortunately in your case the hub bearing wasn’t the problem. hmmm … so what to try next? I think were in in replace this , replace that mode, I’d be inclined to next replace the axle half-shaft. That will give you two new CV joints.

Another idea is to ask the shop if they have an electronic listening gadget they can position at various places in the area to try to narrow down the exact location the sound is coming from while driving. One commercial version is called “chassis ears”.