Are visible screw heads a really bad thing?

One of the advantages cited for the BMW 3 series over the previous versions was that the 3 Series had no visible screw heads on the interior. What is it about visible screw heads that is so worrying? Somehow I’m able to see one without going into a panic … lol …

So what is all the fuss about visible screw heads in car interiors?

Maybe I’m just not the sort of person BMW wants to associate with? … lol …

Bingo , we have a winner !

2 Likes

Industrial designers hate visible screws. These are the people who do the pretty in interiors and bodies.

Manufacturing engineers don’t like them either because they take more time in assembly. Spring clips just pop in and don’t require a torque limited screwdriver.

That’s what is wrong with interior screws.

4 Likes

It’s been years since I’ve seen screw heads in an interior, and was surprised that a recent BMW had them. George, please post a link to the article.

Visible screw heads convey an impression of cheapness. Premium brands take measures to conceal interior fasteners.

2 Likes

George, are you talking about the 1975 introduction of the 3 series? As compared to the BMW 2002? It has been a few years…

Texases: 1975 introduction of the 3 series?

Yes.

OK, why did you make this silly thread to look like it was a current announcement ?

1 Like

Even cheap cars have screw caps on the dash and door panels.

Are you shopping for an old BMW?

Nevada: " Are you shopping for an old BMW?"

No, I’m just curious why visible screw heads would be important factor in a car’s interior design. After all, Even the most high end homes shown in the magazine Architectural Digest have visible screw heads here and there. Why are they not ok for cars, but ok for homes?

1971 Chrysler New Yorker door panel: no visible screws. Seems to be the aesthetic quality that people expect.

1 Like

This would be amusing if you were not serious . Apples and oranges .

2 Likes

I like screws and visible screw heads largely b/c I hate those plastic panel retainers - most especially the “Christmas tree” ones. I car more about being able to take stuff apart when needed than I do about how things look.

But I get the argument for those and for concealment. And moreso for efficiency of assy on the line.

2 Likes

Good points, both + and -. I wonder if repair costs are also affected? The no-screws method, there’s no screws to remove, so that presumably saves time. But there may be add’l costs in other ways.

Yes, I think exposed screws would save about $10,000 in maintenance costs…

1 Like

Might even make cars $10,000 cheaper and easier for the DIY.

I can see it now . Multipule posts asking ( What size screw do I need for ( name of part goes here ) and where would I get one and how much would it cost ?

2 Likes

…. and “What kind of screwdriver do I need? Where do I get the screwdriver? My truck uses different screws.”

2 Likes

Around my house the only screws are light switches, outlets, and air vents. I could easily swap out the switches and outlets for ones with concealed screws, and could do the air vents with quite a bit more work and $$. Folks like the ‘clean’ look, in cars and homes.

2 Likes