Are there any safety features you like/dislike and would recommend keeping on/turning off?

An opinion not shared by anyone I know that has had this on their pickup trucks… which were the only applications. My personal experience with it showed it was total junk. 3 or 4 wheel is far superior.

Completely wrong. 3 or 4 channel ABS allows you to retain control. There is no need to regain it.

Since ESC has been around for more than a decade. ABS longer. Half the cars on the road have ESC more than 3/4 with ABS. There are a lot of rollovers not prevented by ESC and fewer caused by ABS. Since ESP doesn’t exist without ABS the question is moot.

4 Likes

And, you are surprised because… ?
:smirk:

4 Likes

I have decided that I will drive everywhere at 51 MPH because of the Snowman Institute of Vehicle Safety recommendation’s ,

4 Likes

Completely turning off the headlights is useful and courteous when approaching a security check station. Security guards are temporarily blinded by headlights and having the option to extinguish them completely is much appreciated by the guards. Newer cars allow this. In the 1990s I started going through security gates and I felt bad that my GM rentals with automatic headlights didn’t have a setting to turn them off completely.

1 Like

It can be a big deal at boat ramps too. Being able to turn off headlamps is a courtesy thing in a number of situations. There is so much processing power today, there’s no reason they couldn’t allow headlamps to be temporarily turned off but turn back on if the vehicle is moving for X seconds or achieves a target speed to turn them back on.

How does having the headlights on cause a problem at boat ramps ?

Its only purpose it to prevent the vehicle from going sideways due to rear wheel lockup, leading to a possible roll over accident. Were people expecting it to do anything more?

You actually have to drive 41 because the other car is going 61.

Preventing rear lockup is a federal standard. ALL cars’ base brakes MUST lock the fronts before the rears. Not to prevent rollover but to create stable braking. The rear-only ABS was to allow more braking when fully loaded. The system must not lock when unloaded which compromises the stopping distance when loaded.

Rollover was not part of the rational. Keep in mind, on dry pavement in a full broad slide trucks and SUVs for the last 30 years will not roll. The CG height and track width will not roll even with the larger, better tires available on these models. Rollovers require a trip, “double lane change” or a boost from the center dividers. Mostly a big buncha stupid from the driver.

The complaints I heard and felt with the rear-only systems was that the system seemed to act like the rear brakes were not even present during a panic stop.

same here. My father taught me that everytime you use your turn signal you are one click closer to it breaking, so don’t use it when not necessary. being the only one on the highway at 2 am at time, it’s silly to use a turn signal.

the lane assist really only bothers me when travelling over road construction, like when they took a 4 lane wide interstate, and condensed it to a 4 lane narrow interstate to do work on the sides. Whatever the lane assist uses to track the lane was still visible enough for my wife’s car (2019 Rav4) to sense it and the car was very confused as to where I should be.

So I guess that applies to the entire vehicle functions .

I use the turn signals even when I know that there is no one behind me. Because there just might be a time when I was wrong.

5 Likes

Complete BS. I know of several of these type accidents among my own friends and family. All survived. Even the driver of a 79 Buick into a full size Dodge survived. He was seriously injured but survived. My wife got hit head on by a larger car running a yellow light at about 50. She walked away (mad as heck! but walked) from the accident and the 1998 car with airbags was repaired.

Complete BS and the Snowman are the same thing .

2 Likes

Traction control can make it so hard to get a car out of a parking space if the ground is really slippery. You might have to turn it off in certain cases to get up a snowy slope but overall I feel it is a good thing to have.

because of the angle that the front of your truck (or vehicle,) is aimed at, you are blinding people at the top of the ramp.

1 Like

I seriously doubt this. A 104 MPH combined speed crash is very severe. It is very common for people to over estimate crash speeds.

Except a 104 mph crash is NOT a 104 mph crash. It is a 52 mph crash. One car hitting a immovable object at 52 mph is EXACTLY the same impact as 2 identical cars hitting head on at 52 mph. Physics, its a concept.

7 Likes

That is definitely one of the big issues and there are also homeowners near the launches. Having a non-stop parade of vehicles with headlights illuminating the entire side of your house, early morning and late at night, is a nuisance. One good way to get the locals up in arms and working to get access shut down. Better to be a good neighbor, have only running lights on, and everyone benefits…

1 Like

Nonsense. If they were concerned about that, they should have chosen somewhere else to live.

1 Like

There is a very busy T intersection in town wit a little house directly opposite the stop sign. So at night the lights continually shine in on the front windows. Some years ago it was for sale and I thought it would be a good project to flip. Thought better of it. It should be just razed and made into a small park. I’ll have to look up the sale price sometime.

Volvo-70 said it all before me… So, if we take your father’s advice to its logical conclusion, we should not even open the door to the car and we should not even start, or drive our cars as just opening the door will ultimately lead to its failure and even worse; driving the car will ultimately be "one start closer to breaking it too…

So, I guess that I had better stop using the directional in my wife’s '85 Toyota Corolla, the one she bought new, and she has put about 230,000 miles on it, else the directional might break…

Well, I’m sorry to say that your father would be very disappointed with my wife, whose put most of these miles on her car in city traffic and used her directional thousands, if not tens of thousands of times, will not stop using her directional as Volvo-70 noted…

There just might be someone behind you…

So, if your father is still with us and you should use that directional as it just might save a life…