Are formal introductions in order?

The occasion: The installation of a replacement speedometer/odometer (affectionately called Speedom by their friends) for an ailing Speedometer/Odometer. The players: a 1994 Honda Civic DX Speedometer/Odometer and the PCM (engine computer). I was told that upon their installation into said office, that a formal introduction would have to be performed by Lord Honda Dealer; otherwise, their union would be froth with errors and discord. Does anyone know if this is the true state of affairs, or can their union be successfully accomplished by a Gentleman’s Agreement? Harmony in the function of this office is determined by following the correct protocols. Your esteemed appraisal is desired. The family is rather poor and can’t afford a large dowry. What say Ye?

I haven’t a clue. I can only say that it is indeed possible. If the replacement instrument has been upgraded in any way (a different set of chips), then you will indeed have to bring the two together to bow to their new partners.

Like I say, just a guess.

I adjusted the tamper-proof odometer. (The Installation Ceremony is off, sorry.) The speedometer SEEMS to be 10 mph faster than the car at 30 to 40 mph (at zero mph, the hand is (barely) on the peg). Do the speedometer gage and the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) have to be adjusted together? If so, HOW? In other words, do they have to be introduced to each other?

Since both the VSS and the instrument are separated by Mr. Computer, it is conceivable that this component needs to be reprogrammed according to some secret ceremony know only to the Honda wizards. Still just speculating.

I say that the computer doesn’t have the capability to introduce itself to the new speedometer. The beeping sound a fax machine makes is part of a “handshake” protocol, that enables the recieving machine to recognize that a fax is coming in. This keeps the fax machine from trying to print out an ordinary phone call. I think that the parts have to be compatible. I would just get used to the difference and drive accordingly. It saves some dumb looks from mechanics.