Are all Americans such spoiled brats?

"But it is reflected in the salaries of the football and basketball coaching staffs. This is college - where are your priorities?"

How, after 44 years of teaching at a University could I have missed the main purpose for its existence?

At Rutgers, the state university of NJ, the head football coach now gets $2,225,000 per year, plus “unlimited use of helicopter and airplane transportation”. His assistant coaches get $1,500,000 per year.

And yet, our esteemed Governor Lardass, who is being courted by the GOP for national office, only criticizes teachers, professors, and state office workers for their “greed” and high salaries. Most state office workers earn no more than $35k per year. While teachers and professors clearly earn more than state office workers, their lifetime salaries may never equal what the coaches of our losing football team earn in one year. Our esteemed governor is completely silent regarding athletic staff salaries.

Is it any wonder that our governor is only appealing to those who live outside of NJ?

An argument is often advanced that the major sports pay for themselves in television contracts, etc. However, except for really top tier universities, the students at many state schools foot the bill through activity fees. These lower tier universities lose money on these programs with travel fees and maintenance of facilities.

If a conference is fortunate enough to get a TV contract, that will pay a lot of the bills. If some of the schools get into post-season play, especially bowl games, the earnings can be quite high. Although conferences like the ACC split the take evenly among all members.

"How, after 44 years of teaching at a University could I have missed the main purpose for its existence?"

i don’t think that the staff has forgotten that universities and colleges are educational institutions, but I wonder about the alumni sometimes. Just look at all the hoopla when a school has a losing record.

I read something interesting about the sports situation.
"Tornadoes kill hundreds and no one talks about it. Some football coach quits and the nation mourns."

That was regarding Tressell’s voluntary leave last night.

Right. No one talks about the tornadoes.

That’s right.

Good job mentioning that no one talks about the tornadoes. I’ll be coming to you for guidance in the future.

Not.

bscar, I think you made a good point. piter is just a sarcastic hater.

I have noticed that piter is a sarcastic hater as well.

I’ve been trying to ignore this thread but it doesn’t go away.

Every time I see the subject line “Are all Americans such spoiled brats?” I just want to respond simply with:

"Are all non-Americans such a bunch of judgmental, overgeneralizing, self-righteous, pompous brats?"

So there. I’ve done it.

I’m generous with my kids but only BECAUSE they are working so hard and are so responsible. I’m giving them a hand to help them achieve their long-term goals. Plus hey, they will owe me BIG TIME down the road when I need a little assistance. :slight_smile:

Be careful when you generalize.

I have noticed that piter is a sarcastic hater as well."

Whitey and Cigroller–Surely, I can’t be the only one who noticed that our old friend, “Tarcaulk”, who was a sarcastic hater, and whose contributions to this forum consisted essentially of hostile arguments and little if any evidence of automotive knowledge, disappeared some time ago.

Within a few days of “Tarcaulk’s” disappearance from this board, “Impala63” made his/her presence known via a series of hostile arguments coupled with little if any evidence of automotive knowledge.

After “Impala63” stopped posting, a few days later, “Piter Devries” started posting with exactly the same M.O.

Am I the only one who noticed this pattern and who theorizes that these three identities are all for the same hostile person with little or no automotive knowledge?

Unfortunately, I don’t notice these kinds of things, so thanks for pointing them out.

I was always pretty good at noting patterns of behavior and connecting the dots, so to speak.
That compliment came from one of the Assistant Attorneys General for whom I did investigative and other work.

While I can’t guarantee that I am correct in this instance, I do see a particular pattern that appears to be unmistakeable. If you want me to go to the next step, I can also give you a probable personality profile of this person.

This ought to be fun. Please do!

White male
Age 50+
Intelligent, well educated

Has spent a significant amount of time overseas in The UK and/or one of its former colonies
Possibly educated in The UK
Possibly ex-military

Has had some reversals of late, and is resentful
Ultimately, very insecure

Unfortunately, none of us will ever know how accurate my profiling is, because the person in question is very unlikely to respond honestly to any inquiries about his background–nor should he.

I posted to the “Forum Troubleshooting” thread today before I read today’s posts to this one. I said that I had a few problems with editing but more figuring out what makes some people in the forum tick. I suggested a thread headed “Psychiatric profiles please”. That’s quite a coincidence.

I’m not so sure about the Tarcaulk-Impala63-piter_devries connection. There are many differences between them, and there are a lot of angry, sarcastic people in this world. I assume the first two were booted off, and the only thing I see as suspect is that the next didn’t show up until the one previous had gone.

Impala63 was hard to abide, but I found it harder to find what I believed were holes in his thinking than the others.

Early on, I had figured the “C” in VDCdriver stood for “curmudgeonous”, but I can’t find that in the dictionary. That’s as far as I’ll go in an attempt at his profile.

I’ve been called worse…by better people.

;-))

Wow. Due to my extensive military background in Her Majesty’s Service (the first toast is always to the Queen, the second to the Regiment - J.Q. Higgins) I don’t feel the need to follow the sporting pages. However, I am aware that some sort of coach had to resign or be let go because he did something that wasn’t kosher.

The tornadoes on the other hand are getting wall to wall coverage here on the East Coast, as well they should. That was my point, that the tornadoes are getting covered.

bscar wrote:
“I read something interesting about the sports situation.
Tornadoes kill hundreds and no one talks about it. Some football coach quits and the nation mourns.””

@VDCDriver

"White male<---------like most people here
Age 50+ <-------------like most people here
Intelligent, well educated <— gud spellr

Has spent a significant amount of time overseas in The UK and/or one of its former colonies <---- many people here have spent significant time in a former colony of the UK.
Possibly educated in The UK <----- possibly? That explains all the Britishisms and British spellings, not.
Possibly ex-military <----- again, possibly?

Has had some reversals of late, and is resentful <---- it all evens out
Ultimately, very insecure" <---- who isn’t?

Well, that was a magnificent cold read. You forgot that there is someone close to me with the letter J or M in their name, and at some time I have lost someone significant. One of my grandparents is dead and has a message for me.

MikeGayner, before you begin making assumptions about “norms” in a country with 300million citizens that’s over 2,600 miles by 2,600 miles, you might want to at least visit here. I’ve spent time in Great Britain, loved the country, and I can assure your that your population is every bit as diverse as ours in its child rearing as well as in every other aspect. Allow me to suggest that you visit here. It’ll be a good learning experience.

Yes, we have spoiled children and poor parenting, just as does GB. And we also have responsible children and excellent parents, as does GB. Our populations have far more in common than they do in conflict. Allow me to suggest that you travel here