Anyone else here deal with customers on "fixed income" or who have already diagnosed the problem?

Yes, I do work the time the “nickel and dime” people take from me into the job if they are even willing to have you do the work. I recently installed a part in a computer, then the guy found an old one he had and wanted that one put it. I had already spent the labor and would need to remove some of the software so there would be more labor and I wasn’t sure the old one would be compatible with the new computer with the drivers and all so suggested he stick with the one already in there as it would cost more to go with the other one.

Anyway, giving away things for free has just gotten me taken advantage of. Sorry to say but unless I really know someone, I won’t do it. There are people around here who pose with their car like it is broken down at Wal-Mart or the gas station asking for money to fix it. Someone confronted them about the scam which was become well-known and they became threatening. The police were called.

Yea @ Barkydog…that’s a pretty small lot. I live on a small lot too and when I mow the back yard I say “I’m gonna go mow the back 40…feet.”

I know what you mean @cwatkin; I’ve been taken by the ones that seem to be pro’s at it.

Too bad too. It ruins it for everyone.

I still try to help a few, and even if I do get the shaft…I figure they’ll get their’s in the end.
The ones that bother me the most are those that have no recollection that you did the job on credit etc. I have one now that owes over $500 from a emergency repair 6 months ago. I see her once a week and it would be nice to hear, "I haven’t forgotten about your bill, I’ll get you something soon. At least acknowledge the fact!!!

Yosemite

The only way to do jobs on credit is to have them use a CREDIT CARD! Yes, been there, done that and no more jobs done on credit unless someone else such as a bank is backing up the credit. It usually costs more to go after them than it is worth from my experience so you just let them go.

I had another funny one tonight. A guy told me he would be willing to pay my $35 upfront fee as long as I knew the repair would be less than $300. I told him the only way to get the repair estimate was to look at it and that I am no longer doing free estimates. We will see if he calls back. It sounded like it was a $2000 laptop a couple years ago and not one that is really $200 and came from a rent to own center so it cost $2000.

Huh, my dog is buried in my back yard. In a nice cedar casket lined with headliner and with bone shaped handles. In the shade of the pine tree with a stone marker. Wouldn’t have it any other way. Should have made it just a tad bigger though due to rigor. We were gone when she died.

We always buried our animals in the back yard when I was a kid. Usually did it myself after scraping them off the road. What’s the prob?

One way to collect from those who owe “credit” is to refuse to do future work for them until they are paid up from past jobs and I usually make them pay for the next job upfront too.

I also do a layaway plan but have to charge fees for this, otherwise people will take forever to pay for them and you end up losing money and having to store equipment for a long time… I charge $10 a week until it is paid off to account for storing the equipment as well as the hassle of keeping track of what is owed, etc.

The one that really makes me mad is when people have you out on a service call and then say it was only worth this much to them and only pay part of the bill. I only have one of these the owes money from one of these jobs right now and plan to get them for the next time they call. I don’t plan to hide it in their next bill but will be very upfront and let them know I want the money owed from the past job and all of the next job before I agree to do anything for them.

@asemaster
Your wife is definitely a keeper.

I had a friend you worked his way through college by painting houses. He said there was an unwritten understanding among all the painters in the area: If someone refused to pay, they got their house painted purple - as purple takes 3 coats to cover. Not only was this a signal, but the quote would be more than paying the original job.

I know a few people who have worked at…“getting a break on the price”…to a fine art.
I towed a car for a lady I know. No price was mentioned, I just said I’d do it.
Then when I pulled into her yard towing the car…as I was getting out of my truck…she thrusted a wad of bills at me and thanked me for towing the car. As I left her place I counted the cash and it was enough to pay for the gas I used and about $20 for my three hours work.

I let it go and figured that, I’d get the money back the next favor she asked for. Another call for a favor and she did the same thing.
That’s when I learned to make sure to quote a price with her the next time she calls for a favor. I wonder if she does this with everyone.

I guess I’m just too nice a guy to point out that the money is not enough for the job.

Yosemite