Anyone can install a windshield in Austin?

I need a new windshield for my 2012 Hyundai Accent. Was looking to buy windshield from junkyard and have someone install it preferably not in a shop don’t want to pay for the overhead costs. I’m in Austin, Texas.

Check with a local shop that specializes in auto glass, I think you’ll be surprised at the price. Your insurance may even cover the replacement too. I wouldn’t use a junkyard windshield personally

2 Likes

You will probably not save any money that way and if it leaks or cracks you will not have any warranty. If you have full coverage insurance call and see what they cover . Call a local glass shop and see what they charge and I doubt if anyone from Austin will even see this post of yours.

This is one of those ‘if you have to ask, forget about it’ repairs. Even an expert would choose a new windshield rather than risking installing a used one.

3 Likes

Just call safelite, they’ll install it at your house.

2 Likes

I did that back in 1968. Worked ok. I used an old body shop guy that did moonlighting at home. Cost me $25 for the install and about $20 for the windshield. I’m not sure I saved that much though and then there is always the risk of breakage on a used piece of glass. Back when $2.40 an hour was pretty good for a kid.

Windshields are structural parts in many cars now. I wouldn’t want to risk incorrect or substandard adhesive or process being used to install it.