Anybody here ever self-insured their car?

Yes. Each car. For details google California DMV car self-insurance policy or something to that effect

The $35k cash deposit or bond with the DMV only covers your liability insurance and of course you might get sued for much more than that. Assuming you’re forgoing around 4% per year in interest income by leaving your funds on deposit with the DMV the annual opportunity cost of going this route would be say $1400 a year. I’m paying around $500 a year in California for just my liability insurance so I’d say on the surface it just isn’t worth it. Plus you stand to lose most or all of your deposit in case of an accident instead of just having the insurance company paying out the claim. I wouldn’t.

1 Like

Why would anybody deposit the entire amount? You get a surety bond for around 1-2% of the bond amount.

Todays society is far to litigious for such ideas. Did I spell litigious right?

That alone would deter me.

Do you own any property or any other valuable assets? Because if you cause an accident and someone is seriously injured or killed, or any property you damage is more then what you have as self insured - you run the risk of loosing your property and any valuable assets.

People like Bill Gates or Warren Buffet don’t carry any kind of insurance. They have enough money to cover any property damage or personal injury lawsuits. Do you? Most of us don’t. My nephew was in a serious car accident a few years ago. Several broken bones and serious hand damage. After 5 operations he has about 80% usage back in his hand. He was able to collect well over $500,000 in pain and suffering.

2 Likes