Any potential major issues with a 2012 Cadillac SRX with 169k?

If after a test drive you still want the car, take it to a mechanic you trust for a prepurchase inspection. Expect to pay $100-$150 for it. At 169,000 miles, just about anything could go wrong, and more often than not it’s maintenance. Brakes, suspension, rubber bits (hoses, bushings, window gaskets) all wear out and need replacement. If you do buy it, expect high maintenance costs because of the things I mentioned.

1 Like

Short answer yes there are potential issues.

The timing chains are a problem on the 3.6 motor
Easy to find a terrain,Acadia,equinox with a bum motor for cheap

2 Likes

I appreciate your input from a woman’s perspective in a similar situation!

1 Like

You are quite welcome. Best wishes on sorting out which vehicle to get.

For what it’s worth, my November Consumer Reports arrived today. One article listed recommendations for vehicles available for under $10,000. The only SUV s on the list were the 2008 Toyota Highlander and the 2009 Toyota RAV4.
I believe @Marnet gave you very good advice. When I had limited funds, I bought a 1955 Pontiac that appealed to me. It had a V8 engine with a manual transmission. It was a 2 door and the dealer had overhauled the engine. The car was a disaster. Had I done more research, a Ford or Chevrolet would have been a better bet. 1955 was the first year for the V8 in the Pontiac. Furthermore, I should have wondered why the car needed an engine overhaul. I was 21 at the time. Fortunately, I got out from under the mess. My dad had a 1954 Buick he was going to trade in at the dealer. He was offered a better trade-in allowance for my 1955 Pontiac than his 1954 Buick, so I traded cars with him.
A mechanic I worked for by mowing his yard around his house and shop told me back in the late 1950s to stick with Fords and Chevrolets when buying a used car for transportation. I think today he would advise sticking with Toyota or Honda.
Please understand my bias. To me, a luxury car is a car with a sun visor on the passenger side.