Antifreeze spray

I have a 98 Jeep Wrangler with only 80,000 miles. After noticing the smell of cooking antifreeze, I opened the hood and saw that there was antifreeze sprayed under the hood, like the pressure built up on the drive home and shot it out. There are no noticeable holes. Any ideas?

There are holes or leaks somewhere. You will just have to have a mechanic find them for you. Is the car overheating?

When was the last time the coolant was changed?

Please provide more information if you can and we may be able to help you further. There could be any different causes for the leak.

Replace your radiator cap and see what happens.

Unfortunately for me, I recently bought the Jeep and so don’t know when it was last changed. Before purchase, the coolant appeared to be the correct color and consistency. It is not overheating, though, and there is plenty of coolant in the overflow tank.

As Docnick said there ARE leaks somewhere.

Leave the hood open, run the engine up to operating temp and watch where the coolant sprays from.

It could be anything from a split coolant hose to a ruptured rad.

I like cigroller’s idea.

Also, if you don’t know the age of the coolant, go ahead and do a flush-n-fill and replace both the radiator cap and thermostat. The coolant may look good, but be old and lacking anti-rust additives and proper freeze protection. Consider it cheap insurance. Look for signs of coolant leaks on the sides of the radiator, water pump, and thermostat housing.

If it happens again after that, get a cooling system pressure tester, a hand pump with a gauge that fastens to the radiator in place of the cap. Pump up to pressure the cap is rated for, and check the gauge for dropping pressure. Dropping pressure means a leak somewhere. Holding pressure means everything is OK.

It’s called a “Cooling System Pressure Test”. Takes about 5 minutes and is usually free…

Examine the radiator for stains (blue, or green). Stains show where antifreeze has been leaking. If there are stains, it may be the radiator is leaking and needs replacing. Pressure test, repair, change the top and bottom radiator hoses, now, or at a later date on the side of the road.
If the radiator has sprung a leak, the heater core may be next (it’s a radiator, too).