Anti-seize debate

As mentioned above, there have been other discussions here on this topic. Back in a thread from 2014- 2016, I posted a note that presented GM’s take on it that I’ll repeat here.

GM is against the use of lubricants on wheel studs. To quote from a GM service manual:

“Never use lubricants or penetrating fluids on wheel stud, nuts, or mounting surfaces, as this can raise the actual torque on the nut without a corresponding torque reading on the torque wrench. Wheel nuts, studs, and mounting surfaces must be clean and dry. Failure to follow these instructions could result in wheel, nut, and/or stud damage.”

and

“Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener.”

One place where lubrication is specified is on vehicles with hub-piloted wheels where the wheel nuts are of the two-piece flange type. A small amount of oil should be used between the nut and flange, but not on the threads.

I’ll note that some people don’t consider anti-seize compounds to be lubricants (though some are labeled as such. They would be corrosion inhibitors in any case). That’s probably a whole other can of worms.