Anti-lock brakes and auto-lock differential in reverse

Does anybody know if anti-lock brakes and auto-locking differentials are designed to not work in reverse? Or does that depend on the make/model? I’ve had need for both and they don’t seem to work in reverse.

ABS is not designed to work in reverse, simply because people don’t normally drive fast enough or far enough in reverse to necessitate ABS.

I am not sure about the operation of that type of diff.

Let me add that as you have stated, I believe it depends upon the make/model as to how the rear differential works. Some are mechanical and require rotation to engage, some are electrically engaged. You must have good traction in some reverse situations too. Backing up hill after plowing down, etc.
It’s a good question and worthwhile considering before you invest in a particular truck/car.

As far as ABS is concerned, it seems very reasonable not to have ABS work in slow speeds during reverse, as some models of cars/trucks I have stipulate the ABS stops functioning less then 5 mph; which I’m thankful for. Especially like those that can be disengaged completely.

That’s odd, my ABS doesn’t care (or have anyway to know) if the car is going forward or backwards. It works in both directions. I assume that yours must have a connection to the reverse switch so that it knows to shut down? (I’ve haven’t seen any wheel speed sensors that can indicate the direction of rotation of the wheel, they only give the speed of rotation.)

I wish I had known if these two features worked in reverse before I bought the truck. I went back through all the sales brochures and owners manuals…no mention of operation limitations. I honestly don’t think that’s something that a salesman would know (which wouldn’t stop them from making up an answer).

Let me be more clear about ABS. I believe that it’s a safety advantage that ABS does not work at low speeds and in reverse. There should be a moderate amount of wheel spin to clear treads keeping tire functional and maintaining traction and control at very low speeds. At higher speeds there are different issues.

LS with a manual over ride would be ideal, as we have on our tractors. I can’t speak for all trucks and the tasks they perform, but I wouldn’t own a tractor that couldn’t lock differentials in reverse. If a truck performs similar tasks, I would expect the same. Sanding while backing up a steep hill is the safest way to complete the task sometimes for example. With a snow blower on the rear of one of my tractors, I prefer to clear snow backing up a hill while doing the road using that feature as well.

Instead of talking to a salesman, talk to the dealer mechanics and parts man. They help me more with these types of questions about particular vehicles than anyone. I don’t know if it would be grounds for a “divorce” from your truck but it may not be that critical for the use you give the truck.