Another question about tires and seals

Hi there!
I recently had a tire that was losing air, so I brought it to a tire store (store that has tire in the name - though they also did my brakes).
There was a nail in the tire about an inch from the outside of the tire. When they called to tell me I needed new rotors not just new pads, they also started to say I needed a new tire, but they didn’t have the tire in stock. I said, so you can’t plug it? And they said no, it was too close to the wall and I would have a blow out. Since the cost of brakes went from $60 to over $100, I told them this would be really rough because it was Christmas and I was already broke.

Suddenly, they say they can patch the tire instead of getting a new one.
I found out they needed to put on a seal from the inside. They didn’t plug it, but did the seal.

I just can’t figure out if them telling me I needed a new tire and I would get a blow out was fearmongering and an upsell or if I really am in danger now.
I have a 2007 Hyundai with Nankang Touring tires with 50% tread.

What are my chances of a blow out?

I am of the opinion that an inch from the sidewall is far enough for a plug to work. Did you get a patch inside of the tire or a mushroom plug? The tire people do not want to be held accountable if you should have a flat so the safe answer for them was to replace the tire. If you should have a flat tire now, they can say that you talked them out of selling you a new tire for the reason stated. I have been plugging my own tires for many years since bias ply tire days after I watched a person do that and saw how easy it looked and have never had a plug cause a blowout. Plugs for me have almost never leaked but my solution for that was to remove the plug and install another.

You won’t have a blowout. The people who work on cars are sometimes (ha, ha) trained to upsell every customer. They believe that anybody who can afford to have them fix a car must be full of cash. They will never get rich if they don’t at least ask.

It’s like Chess; the opponent can’t walk into a trap if you forget to set one. It’s not just a job, it’s a profession.

Thanks to both of you!
They put the fear in me and as a young woman I am always worried that I am seen as an easy target.

Wha Who, it is a seal from the inside of the tire.
I really appreciate the piece of mind.

My fear was having a blowout and crashing the car.
I just wasn’t sure how we could go from “not recommended” to here you go here is a seal.

Here is a link to the Rubber Manufacturers Association puncture repair guide. There is a diagram showing the advised repairable area of the tire. I have patched my own tires outside of the repairable area but with customers you can expect they will keep driving @ 75 MPH on a deflated tire should a patch fail until they notice rubber flying in all directions.

http://www.rma.org/tire_safety/tire_maintenance_and_safety/tire_repair/

Nevada thanks for sharing! Mine is right on that line. So I feel much more comfortable. I can see them being overly cautious, but this helped me to educate myself!

I am teaching myself to be more mindful of my car and doing quick checks before I get in the car to make sure nothing is flat or soft or anything.

If it helps, I too agree that you won’t have a problem. I’d also like to recommend that you find a good independent mechanic to do all you work and use the tire store only for tires. If you have a Costco near you, you might join them the next time you need tires, The savings will cover the cost of the membership and they don’t do other work, so they can’t “up sell” you.

Thanks Keith! The more who tell me I won’t die in a fiery crash due to a patch, the better I feel.
I do agree I need to find someone I can trust so I always have someone to ask.

“An inch” could mean almost anything. I’d be reluctant to accuse the shop if doing anything less than honest without seeing the tire. Lots of shop won’t repair a hole too close to where the sidewall meets the tread area because there’s a lot of flex there and plugs will be prone to failure. Often patches will too.

Repairing it from the inside is the best way to do so, and it may last the life of the tire, however I’d keep an eye on the pressure anyway. At least for a while.

Thanks Mountainbike! I will definitely keep an eye on it.