Another question about fixing up my 1968 442

Looks great. Before you put it up for sale, consider getting it inspected to find its detractions. This would help you price it and determine where you want to sell it. Once you have that information, contact auction sites like Hemmings or Mecum to determine how to make a strategy for sale. You don’t have to do any of that but IMO it can help you get as much as possible when you sell it. If there is significant undercarriage rust, for instance, it might be a tough sell. Any shop can put it on a lift and give you a report. You don’t need a classic car shop unless you want them to help you sell it.

No idea the best way to unload your 442, but I expect you’ll get a lot of interest. Does it have the intake manifold vacuum gauge display on the dashboard? One of my relatives had a 442 when I was a kid and I’d always ask about the vacuum gauge display, found it fascinating. It seems like a good thing to display, gives an indication any changes to engine health, but I am not aware of this display being an available option for newer cars.

It was used as a fuel economy indicator.

images

Tester

The 442’s owner said the same thing, fuel economy was its purpose. But it seemed to me that when the display showed “poor” mpg, that was when the driver was flooring the accel . And the driver is already aware of that, no need for a gauge … lol … I think it might be better used as a general display of engine health, compare it over time on the same trips. Any change in behavior indicates something in the engine has changed. Those 442’s definitely sucked a lot of gasoline away quickly. When floored I could see the gas gauge move slowly lower.

https://www.hemmings.com/auction/1968-oldsmobile-442-greenwd-in-937455

If anyone is interested, this is the website for the auction. The bid is only up to 12k. I am afraid I’m going to take a bath on this one. Hopefully the bidding starts to go up as it approaches the deadline (tomorrow). It’s a steal at 12k.

I’ve got three cars that came originally equipped with points and condenser ignition. The first thing I did on all three was to change to Pertronix solid state ignition. Fits into the distributor in place of the points, no one can tell from an external inspection that the ignition has been modified, and the oldest one i’ve installed is 45 years old and works perfectly.

1 Like

According to the paperwork (receipts) in the Hemmings Auction on the OP’s 442, the points have been upgraded at some point…

That is correct. I did that a few years back. It seems to run just as good and I had no worried about points etc. It was a fairly simply install, for someone with basic tinkering skills.

BTW - I have a good friend from high school named Dave who is a Mopar guy. He’s an engineer at Cummings. I rib him about it, but honestly, I have come around to admiring those old Mopars as I have aged. Wish my dad has passed down a Superbird. I wouldn’t be worried about a low bid!.

Years ago I saw a simple looking 1968 Charger driving down University Ave (Dinkytown, U of MN) while I was an undergraduate coming toward me. I began admiring it immediately. Then, when it was just about in front of me I saw the HEMI emblem. Little rectangular thing on the fender. Nothing to make it stand out and scream, as they were on the 68s. I just about had to pick my jaw off the pavement. Saw a 68 GT500 about 2 blocks away a few years later… Not restored, just in a condition like someone drives it around whenever the feeling came on. What a deal. A person would be worried about driving such cars these days considering the values.

1 Like

Well good luck but it seems lately the hemmings auction results never seem to meet the estimated sale price. People might be a little skittish right now and a 45% capital gains would put any investments in park.

Yeah dinkeytown. I’d get malts at bridgemans on the corner. Best around. And mama Rosa’s down the street. Stub and herbs, etc. never had to worry about crime then in the 70s.

Yep, those poor billionaires earning over a mill a year are nervous that their average tax rate might rise above 8%…

bing. Funny you would know of Dinkytown. Small world.

I like old cars too. But if I had my choice between these two- hands down I’m choosing the newer one:

Capture2

Capture

3 Likes

Yeah!

But I wouldn’t want to paint it.

Tester

Yeah, spent 30 years in the area. When I went back, got lost and just about hit by the train. :smile:

Who pays that high a rate? Federal income tax maximum is 20% on long term investment sales and 37% for short term investments. Those are marginal rates for people in the top tax bracket, more than $551K for long term gains and $578K for short term investments. I don’t know those people, do you?

A lot of tax factors to consider. Fed taxes might well be just 20%. But there are probably state taxes. Local taxes. & the effect of the increased income on retirement earnings like Social Security. It ain’t simple anymore.

Figure it out, @George_San_Jose1 and tell us what you find.

New proposal to raise capital tax rate on the very highest income individuals. Same folks that often pay amazingly low average tax rates.

1 Like

The proposal is to raise capital tax rate for OVER $5 MILLION. The average investor wouldn’t even come close to that.

1 Like