Another battery charge problem

About2years ago, a maintenance-free battery was installed in my 1988 Toyota.The car was used for a year and then taken off the road for the last year. We decided to use it again so I recharged the battery and away we went. Now, the battery does not hold the charge. Can the lack of use for the last year be considered, in which case I will put in a new battery, or do I need to go looking for more expensive problems.

Yes, the battery discharged and the plates are sulfated. If it freezes where you live, it might have frozen and thawed. You might be able to fix it with a high-tech charger. Your battery is still covered by the mfr. warranty, but it is not their fault. You should have unhooked the battery at the least, and charged it periodically at best.

Yes, the battery discharged and the plates are sulfated. If it freezes where you live, it might have frozen and thawed. You might be able to fix it with a high-tech charger. Your battery is still covered by the mfr. warranty, but it is not their fault. You should have unhooked the battery at the least, and charged it periodically at best.

I agree; the battery is probably at fault. Sitting idle is the worst thing in the world for a battery.

You might consider having it load tested just to make sure. I think AutoZone and even WalMart will do this for you free but it involves placing the battery on the charger for an hour or so (in your case) before testing.